Student success advisors
Student success advisors (SSAs) are recent graduates who are employed by the Faculty of Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment to ensure that courses run smoothly, issues are dealt with quickly and provide you with all the support needed to succeed at Birmingham City University.
SSAs also work with students who might be struggling academically, are disengaged with their course or need to retake assessments.
We also take care of:
- Level Up – the comprehensive and engaging pre-arrival programme that you are doing right now.
- International student buddies – special student buddies who help all our EU and international students integrate both academically and socially to BCU throughout the year.
- Student representation – we are working closely with Student’s Union to ensure you are well represented and that your voice is heard through our student academic leaders and school representatives.
- University Assistant app – we got thoroughly engaged in bringing this app for you as well as offering useful short articles to help you on your student journey.
- This week In CEBE – we want to listen to what you have to say but there are times when we want to let you know of all the awesome stuff happening week by week. Instead of filling your Inbox, we deliver a short informal video of us telling you what activities are happening that week.
Each SSA is looking over a particular subject area. You will be introduced to the student success advisors during Welcome Week. You can contact the student success advisors team at CEBESuccess@bcu.ac.uk.
Meet your Student Success Advisors (SSAs)
I graduated from MA Radio and Audio Production in 2017 and oversee Built Environment. My background is in Education, and in particular student mentoring. Having previously worked in Secondary Education from 2012 to 2016, my skills lie in student motivation and ensuring that students of all abilities can excel.
As an SSA, I have been working on the Assistant app by creating a variety of videos and articles that aim to inform and entertain the students of BCU. I will also be working on Assistant’s live ‘Chat’ feature where you can ask any questions or highlight any issues that you are having during your time here.
I graduated BSc (Hons) Music Technology in 2016 and oversee our engineering students. During my degree, I was a Student Academic Leader, School Rep, Student Mentor and I also started a Recording Society.
As the first EU nationality SSA in CEBE, I developed the International Student Buddy Scheme to help international and EU student integrate in their University life. I oversee our Level Up programme and I am a proud WISE member (Women In Science and Engineering), supporting equal opportunities of study and career.
Topics and professional interests: Sound Effects in Animation and Games, Studio Recording, Graphic Design, Anime, latest technology (especially if it has nice smart LED’s), anything and I mean anything to do with Japan.
I graduated from BSc (Hons) Information Communications Technology in 2016. I am the SSA Team Leader and I look after student in Cloud Computing and Cyber Security and help out with employability and NSS (National Student Survey) events.
I support attendance and assessment monitoring, and making sure students get the right assistance. I support the Microsoft exams offered for free to staff and students and help deliver the Generalist Degrees which enable student to top up the credits they have failed and gain a Studies degree.
I graduated BSc (Hons) Film Production and Technology in 2015. I support students in the Centres of Digital Media Technology and Enterprise Systems. In addition, I promote student representation, hosting the Faculty of Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment’s Student Academic Leader Council and overseeing the groups which put feedback into action. I work with the employability team on events with industry partners. I also host and produce the DMTPodcast which discusses current affairs in digital media technology.