Associate Dean (Academic Portfolio and Market Development)
After completing a CEI Part II professional registration qualification, Simon was engaged as an electronics engineer designing control systems for resistance welding applications. This role also provided the opportunity to be design and deliver customer-training courses.
Simon first came to Birmingham City University in 1988 as a research assistant on an EPSRC funded programme to investigate methods for high precision machine tool control in the area of nanotechnology.
After completion of the EPSRC project he progressed to a lectureship in Software Engineering methods in the Faculty of Engineering and Computer Technology. Several years later he became the Course Director for the BEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering.
Further developments in 1998 within the Faculty provided career advancement with a promotion to a management role as Director of Academic Partnerships. He has managed the Faculty’s most successful partnership with Nanjing University of Science and Technology in China since September 2000.
He has served or is currently on many Faculty and University based committees, including:
- Elected member of BCU Senate, (2007-2011)
- BCU Academic Standards and Quality Enhancement Committee (current member)
- Faculty Board (current member)
- Chair of Faculty Academic Standards and Quality Enhancement Committee
- Chair of Faculty’s Academic Management Group
- Member of Faculty Executive Group Senior Management Team
- Chair of Faculty’s Marketing and Recruitment Forum
- Member of BCU’s Strategic Recruitment Group
He has regularly chaired University course approval events.
Currently he leads the Faculty’s Academic programmes, although demanding it provides him with the opportunity to continue his research for his EdD research.