Professor Maharaj Vijay Reddy
Professor of Sustainable SME Growth
- 0121 331 7695
Vijay’s contribution in the field of sustainable development so far has attracted the attention of professional associations, peers, practitioners and some of the international policy agencies driving sustainability practices, business resilience and poverty reduction around the world (e.g., United Nations Division for Sustainable Development, UNESCO and UNEP Sustainable Consumption and Production Branch).
In addition to conducting research, enterprise, teaching and PhD supervision, Vijay closely works with Birmingham City Business School’s Leadership Team, He leads the Research Centre for Enterprise, Innovation and Growth (CEIG), which serves as a hub for the wealth of research and enterprise expertise within the Business School.
Before joining Birmingham City, Vijay worked for Coventry University Business School as Associate Professor. At the University of West London, he led College Research and Enterprise activities as Associate Professor and was also the Head of Subject for the Department of Tourism, Aviation and Event Management. Previously, Vijay worked for Anglia Ruskin University Business School as Deputy Head of Department for Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Tourism, and as Principal Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Lecturer in the Faculty of Management at Bournemouth University.
Areas of Expertise
Vijay's interdisciplinary research interests focus on Disaster Management and Recovery following Natural and Human-driven Disasters such as tsunamis, earthquakes, terrorism and conflicts; Sustainable Business, Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility; Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality; and the socio-economic aspects of Aviation and Space Tourism.
- PhD – University of Exeter (2001-2005)
- Member, Chartered Management Institute – CMI (P04798630)
- External Examiner, Hull University Business School (Sep 2020-Aug 2024)
- External Examiner, Ulster University Business School (Sep 2020-Aug 2024)
- Visiting Academic, University of Applied Sciences, Switzerland (Sep 2018 – Aug 2022)
- Strategic Management
- Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Research Methods
- Hospitality Management
- Sport Management
Furthermore, Vijay developed several innovative PG and UG programmes (taught, online and Exec Ed), pathways & modules and managed teaching for thousands of students in the UK and several other countries (via TNE partnerships) - delivered by diverse academic teams in the fields of: Business Administration, Strategy, Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Tourism, Hospitality, Events and Aviation.
- British Council UKIERI funded project (PI; £199,990; from June 2018 to March 2021) on "Comprehensive tourism revival framework for socio-economic development in post-conflict Kashmir: Lessons from Northern Ireland" (with Prof Stephen Boyd (Ulster), Prof Parkishat Manhas (Jammu, India), and Dr Sandeep Kulshreshtha (IITTM, India). This project funds PhD studentship/s until September 2022.
- British Council UKIERI funded project (PI; £38,990; 2015) on "Comprehensive tourism revival framework for socio-economic development in post-conflict Kashmir: Lessons from Northern Ireland" (with Prof Stephen Boyd (Ulster), Prof Parkishat Manhas (Jammu, India), and Dr Sandeep Kulshreshtha (IITTM, India).
- Bournemouth University funded fusion project (2014-16) on “Collecting and spreading knowledge on species' distributions and forest disturbance in Indonesia” (PI – Prof Amanda Korstjens (Bournemouth), £14,964).
- Bournemouth University funded fusion project (2014-15) on ‘Networking and mobility towards consolidation of a multi-stakeholder learning platform enhancing research and professional practice in conservation of primates in Gambia' (PI – Prof Amanda Korstjens (Bournemouth), £5236).
- Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation funded research pilot project (PI; March-June 2013) on the impact of Japanese Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami and identifying priorities for tourism and socio-economic revival of the communities and local businesses in North East Japan
- Co-applicant for a project (PI - Prof Adrian Newton (Bournemouth); £201,900; 2010 - 2012) on developing ‘Green Knowledge Economy' Centre, funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEIF-4).
- British Academy International Conference Grant to present a paper at the International Conference on ‘Heritage in Asia: Converging Forces and Conflicting Values’, (8-10 Jan 2009), National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Co-investigator for the research project (supported by British Academy; PI: Dr Mark Hampton (Kent); 2007) on ‘Cross-border tourism in Singapore, Malaysia & Indonesia’.
- Research project (PI, 2005; supported by UNESCO Man & Biosphere Secretariat, Paris) to assess the ‘Impact of the Tsunami on Tourism Industry and Ecosystem of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India'.
- Research project (PI; 2004; supported by the Royal Geographic Society and British Airways), on ‘Community based Sustainable Ecotourism, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India'.
- Research project (PI; 2002-03; supported by Rufford (Whitley Laing) Foundation for Nature Conservation, London) on ‘The Future of Community Based Tourism in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India'.
- Research project (PI, 2002-2003; supported by UNESCO World Heritage Centre, Paris) to assess the ‘The Selection of World Heritage Sites in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India'. This project recommended: 1) the Cellular Jail and Ross Island for the World Heritage cultural category and 2) the Great Nicobar Biosphere Reserve for the World Heritage natural category. As an impact and continuous negotiations of UNESCO with the Government of India, the Great Nicobar Biosphere Reserve was inscribed in the UNESCO World Network of Biosphere Reserves on 28 May 2013. The Cellular Jail was successfully included in the tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List in April 2014.
Vijay has supervised PhD students to completion and externally examined several PhD and DBA candidates for Universities in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. He continues to supervise PhD researchers and welcomes applications from prospective PhD candidates.
- Reddy, M.V. and Wilkes, K (2015) (Eds) ‘Tourism in the Green Economy' Oxford: Routledge (http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415709217/ ).
- Reddy, M.V. and Wilkes, K (2012) (Eds) ‘Tourism, Climate Change and Sustainability'. Oxford: Routledge (https://www.routledge.com/Tourism-Climate-Change-and-Sustainability/Reddy-Wilkes/p/book/9781138109117 ).
Journal Articles, reports and book chapters:
- Boyd, S., Reddy, M.V, Kulshreshtha, and Nica, M (2021). ‘Post-Conflict Tourism Opportunity Spectrum (POCTOS): a framework for destinations recovering from conflict’. Journal of Sustainable Tourism (CABS 3*; DOI: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09669582.2021.1993866?src= ).
- Reddy, M.V. (2021). Up to 46 million jobs at risk: the catastrophic downturn of the global aviation industry and reflections for a sustainable post-Covid19 recovery. Coventry University Research Blog (http://blogs.coventry.ac.uk/researchblog/up-to-46-million-jobs-at-risk-the-catastrophic-downturn-of-the-global-aviation-industry-and-reflections-for-a-sustainable-post-covid19-recovery/ ).
- Reddy, M.V, Boyd, S and Nica, M (2020). Towards a post-conflict tourism recovery framework. Annals of Tourism Research (CABS 4*, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2020.102940).
- Reddy, M.V. (2020). “Reigniting tourism in post-conflict areas”. Innovate Magazine. Research and Enterprise at Coventry University. Published by Coventry University (Pg. 8, https://www.coventry.ac.uk/globalassets/media/global/08-new-research-section/j804-19_innovate-magazine-2019_v25_final-web-low-res.pdf)
- Ishwaran, N and Reddy, M.V. (2018) ‘Tourism and Science: Research, Knowledge Dissemination and Product Innovation'. In Fayos-Sola, E and Cooper, C (Eds) ‘The Future of Tourism' (ISBN: 9783-319-899404). London: Springer.
- Reddy, M.V. (2018) ‘Space Tourism: opportunities and challenges of an emerging industry'. In New Vistas, University of West London Journal. (pp 40-46 ; https://www.uwl.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Departments/Research/Vistas/Web/PDF/uwl_new_vistas_0302_reddy.pdf ).
- Hannam, K and Reddy, M.V. (2016) ‘Ecotourism as the Focus of Neoliberal Tourism Project in India'. (Book chapter) In Mosedale, J.T, Neoliberalism and the Political Economy of Tourism (pp 89-98). London: Routledge.
- Reddy. M.V and Wilkes, K (2015) ‘Tourism in the Green Economy: Rio to Post-2015' (pp 3-31). In Reddy, M.V and Wilkes, K., ‘Tourism in the Green Economy'. London: Routledge.
- Filimonaua. V, with Dickinson. J, Robbins. D and Reddy, M.V. (2013). ‘The role of 'indirect' greenhouse gas emissions in tourism: assessing the hidden carbon impacts'. Journal of Transportation Research (Part A). Vol 54, pp 78-91. (CABS 3*).
- Reddy, M.V (2013) ‘Global Tourism and Travel Industry:Performance During the Double-Dip Recession and Recommendations for Transition to a Green Economy'. The World Financial Review. Jan-Feb Edition (pp 26-31).
- Reddy. M.V and Wilkes, K (2012) ‘Tourism and Sustainability: Transition to a Green Economy' (pp 3-23). In Reddy, M.V and Wilkes, K., ‘Tourism, Climate Change and Sustainability'. London: Routledge.
- Reddy, M.V, Nica. M, and Wilkes, K (2012) ‘Space Tourism: Research recommendations for the future of the industry and perspectives of potential participants'. Tourism Management. Vol 33, Issue 5 (pp1093-1102) (CABS 4*).
- Reddy, M.V. (2011) ‘A Critical Review of Environmental Impact Assessment of Tourism: Life Cycle Assessment as a New Approach', Journal of Sustainable Tourism (with Filimonau*. V, Dickinson. J, and Robbins.D), Vol 19, Issue 3, pp301-324 (CABS 3*).
- Reddy, M.V. (2011) ‘Cultural Tourism and Sustainable Local Development: Book Review'. In Journal of Heritage Tourism. Vol 6, Issue 1, pp 85-85.
- Reddy. M.V. (2010) ‘Post-tsunami Mangroves of Andaman and Nicobar Islands' (pp 92-94). In Spalding. M, Kainuma. M, and Collins. L (Eds) World Atlas of Mangroves, Published with ISME, ITTO and project partners FAO, UNESCO-MAB, UNEP-WCMC and UNU-INWEH. London: Earthscan. ISBN 9781844076574.
- Reddy, M.V. (2009) ‘World Heritage Selection in Sensitive Destinations'. Journal of Heritage Tourism. Volume 4, Issue 4 (pp 267-285).
- Reddy. M.V. (2008) ‘Sustainable Tourism Rapid Indicators for Less-Developed Islands: An economic perspective'. International Journal of Tourism Research. Vol.10, No.6 (pp 557-576) (CABS 2*).
- Reddy, M.V. (2008) ‘Strategies for Disaster Management and Risk Reduction in Context of Climate Change and Comprehensive Security: the case of the Andaman Nicobar Islands' (pp1-5). Supplied to UNITAR Sea and Human Security 2008 Series (for providing training to Government officials from the Asia-Pacific Member States). UNITAR Hiroshima.
- Reddy, M.V. (2008) Book Review: Tourism and climate change mitigation: methods, greenhouse gas reductions and policies (Paul Peeters, Editor). Anatolia: an international journal of tourism and hospitality research. Vol.19, No. 2. (pp 379-381).
- Reddy, M.V. (2008) Book Review: Critical Issues in Ecotourism: Understanding a Complex Tourism Phenomenon (James Higham, Editor). Tourism Analysis, Vol 13, 5&6.
- Reddy, M.V. (2007) ‘Twinning Cities between the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Thailand: a case study of controversy' (pp 93-104). In Cochrane, J (Eds) Asian tourism: Growth and Change. Oxford: Elsevier.
- Reddy. M.V, Shaw. G, and Williams, A.M. (2006) ‘Impact of the Tsunami on Tourism Industry and Ecosystem: the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India' (pp 1-60). In South-South Cooperation Series - Working paper Nr: 36. Paris: UNESCO Publications. Available online: https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000178632 ).
- Reddy. M.V. (2005) ‘Tourism industry in the aftermath of the Tsunami: the case of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands: Commentary'. Current Issues in Tourism Vol.8 No.4 (pp 350- 362).
- Reddy, M. V. (2004) ‘Community based sustainable ecotourism: the case of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands' (pp 1-7). A report to the Royal Geographic Society. London.
- Reddy, M.V. (2003) ‘Plight of the sea nomads of Surin Islands, Thailand: A Comparative Socio-Cultural Analysis in relation to the nomadic ‘Shompen' tribes of the Great Nicobar Island, India' (pp 1-10). A report to the UNESCO World Heritage Centre, Paris
- Reddy, M. V. (2003) ‘The Selection of World Heritage Sites in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands' (pp 1-50). A report to the World Heritage Centre, UNESCO, Paris
- International Conference on ‘Contemporary Research in Tourism and Hospitality:Theory, Practice and Pitfalls', 18-21 Feb 2014, School of Management, Pondicherry University, India.
- (Second) International conference on ‘Tourism, Climate Change and Sustainability' (13-14 Sep 2012; Bournemouth University). For details, please visit: https://www.unwto.org/archive/global/event/second-international-conference-tourism-climate-change-and-sustainability
- (First) International Symposium / Conference on ‘Sustainability, Climate Change and Tourism: Challenges posed by the global economic crisis', Bournemouth University (Nov 2009).
- Chair & organiser of a conference session on ‘Island Tourism and Sustainability' at the Royal Geographic Society Annual International Conference 2006 (29 Aug - 1 Sep), London.
Conference Keynotes (selected):
- Reddy, M.V (2021) “From the earth to outer space: the inevitable and rapid emergence of space tourism”, chief guest and keynote delivered (online) at the international conference organised by Jagran Lakecity University in Bhopal, India (28-29 June). For details, visit: https://jlu.edu.in/conferencesoht/ ; Keynote video (40 minutes onwards): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3VykMHGrfY
- Webinar (09.06.2020): “Building Tourism and Hospitality Sector Resilience in South East Asia: Responses to Covid-19 impacts”, LSPR, Jakarta.
- Webinar (02.05.2020): “International Debate on Iran Tourism after COVID-19 Pandemic”.
- Reddy, M.V (2018). "Global Prospects of Space Tourism: Opportunities and Challenges for Developing Economies". Keynote at the International Conference on Tourism for Developing Countries: the path unexplored, Indian Institute of Tourism & Travel Management - IITTM Noida/Delhi, India (13-15 September).
- Two invited presentations related to Education Opportunities and Challenges at the ‘International Conference on Education as a Driver for Sustainable Development Goals' (11-13 January 2016, Ahmedabad India). For details, please visit: http://www.ceeindia.org/esdg/Goal%2012.html ; http://www.ceeindia.org/esdg/Goal%2014-15.html .
- Keynote Speaker for the Oath Project Event 2015 and meeting with the students on the BA (Hons) International Business course at the Nottingham Business School (23 April 2015).
- Keynote presentation on "Socio-economic revival and peace building in Kashmir through tourism", at the Vice-Chancellors' Consortium (1-2 Nov 2014; Istanbul, Turkey). This consortium was attended by 8 Vice Chancellors of Universities, civil societies and media from both sides of Line of Control - India and Pakistan. The event was organised by the Conciliation Resources London.
- Keynote speaker for an international conference in New Delhi (Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute attached to the Indraprastha University; 12-15 Feb 2014) (Topic: Green Economy: Opportunities and Challenges for Tourism and Hospitality).
- Keynote speaker for an international conference at the Pondicherry University, India (18-21Feb 2014) (Topic: Tourism and Natural Disasters: Lessons from the 2004 Asian and 2011 Tohoku tsunamis).
- Keynote speaker (via video conference) on ‘World Heritage and Tourism' at a conference organised by the Institute for Tourism Studies, Macao (21 March 2013).
Selected ‘academic’ conference papers:
- Reddy, M. V (2021) “Space Tourism: Exploring the Business Implications and Research Priorities”, CBiS Research Seminar on 3rd November, Coventry University. For details, please visit: https://www.eventsforce.net/cugroup/frontend/reg/thome.csp?pageID=135861&eventID=484&CSPCHD=001001000000Xqb8LXgmi2MZrWdaLtKCR6_9X2eVHO8H$afCsf
- Reddy, M.V (2016). "Space Tourism: Challenges and Opportunities of a Contested Industry". Conference paper presentation at the 6th Asia-Euro Tourism, Hospitality and Gastronomy International Conference, IITTM Gwalior, India (9-12 November).
- Reddy, M.V, and Saini, P (2013) ‘Space tourism prospects and perspectives of potential consumers from fast developing countries: a case study from Mumbai, India'. Paper presented at the Inaugural India International Hotel, Travel & Tourism Research Conference: Examining and Debating Trends, Challenges and Issues. 28 Jan- 1st Feb, New Delhi.
- Reddy, M.V, Nica. M, and Wilkes, K (2011) ‘Space Tourism: Demand and motivational perspectives of potential participants in South West England'. Paper presented at the Inaugural India International Hotel, Travel & Tourism Research Conference: Examining and Debating Trends, Challenges and Issues. 19- 22 January, New Delhi.
- Reddy, M.V (2009) Socio-economic revival, through effective crisis management and tourism marketing strategies, in small islands impacted by natural disasters: a conceptual approach. Paper presented at the Third Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference, 6-9 September, Bournemouth University.
- Attended and moderated a few sessions at the "Education for Sustainable Development Conference", 10-11 September 2009, Bournemouth University (Organised by Prof Chris Sheil).
- Reddy, M.V. (2009) Identification of World Heritage Sites in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands: Lessons learned and directions for future research. Paper presented at the International Conference on Heritage in Asia: Converging Forces and Conflicting Values, (8-10 Jan), National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Reddy, M.V. (2008) Sustainable Tourism Rapid Indicators: An economic perspective. Paper presented at the World X Islands Conference (24-29 Aug), Cheju Island, Korea.
- Reddy, M.V, and Fyall, A (2008) Evolving Socio-economic Recovery and Sustainable Tourism Revival Models for Small Islands: A Case Study of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Paper presented at the International Conference on Re-examining Disaster, Recovery and Reconstruction: Social Science Perspective on Tsunami (14-15 January), Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- Reddy, M.V. (2007) Sustainability Indicators: Lessons from the Andamans, paper presented at the Tourism Seminar (15 March), Université du Littoral, France.
- Reddy, M.V. (2006) ‘Sustainable Tourism Rapid Indicators'. Paper presented at the Royal Geographic Society Annual Conference (29 Aug - 1 Sep), London.
- Chair and organiser for the session on ‘Island Tourism and Sustainability' at the Royal Geographic Society Annual Conference 2006 (29 Aug - 1 Sep), London.
- Reddy, M.V. (2006) ‘Disaster and Sustainable Development Challenges Facing Tourism in SIDS: A. Case Study of Andaman Islands'. Paper presented at the Tourism and the New Asia Conference (9-12 August 2006), Peking University, Beijing, China.
- Reddy, M.V. (2006) ‘Twinning cities - Port Blair and Phuket: a panacea for tourism development or delusion for antagonism?', Paper presented at the Tourism in Asia Conference (10-12 June), Leeds Metropolitan University.
- Invited Guest Lecture on the ‘Revival of Tourism in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands: a post-Tsunami perspective', at the International Institute for Culture, Tourism and Development, London Metropolitan University. 26th Oct.
- Reddy, M.V. (2004) ‘Evolving Tourism Sustainability Indicators for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India'. Paper presented at the Association of American Geographers' 100thAnnual Conference, Mar 13-19, Philadelphia, USA.
Regarding external communication and engagement with the media, in the past Vijay gave interviews to several broadcast & print media sources, such as, BBC TV, Sky TV, BBC Radio, CNN-IBN, United Nations Web TV, and The Wall Street Journal.
Recent (2021) media engagement include:
- Airports International (AIR Magazine) interview on space tourism developments and market potential (15.07.2021). To be published in September 2021 Issue (pages 38-40) (https://www.key.aero/article/space-tourism-masses-or-just-super-rich ).
- Arabian Business (magazine) interview: UAE 'on track' to land on Moon and Mars, says leading UK space expert (05.08.2021; https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transport/466755-uae-on-track-to-land-on-moon-mars-says-leading-uk-space-expert ; video script: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/videos/466848-the-uae-is-on-stellar-path-to-space-success )
- Asian Voice (magazine) interview on the future of space tourism (19.07.2021; https://www.asian-voice.com/News/UK/What-is-the-future-of-Space-Tourism )
- Sky News (live) interview on space tourism following Jeff Bezos’s space travel announcement (08.06.2021)
- ITV Central News; and Radio News interviews in week commencing 22nd February 2021 following Prime Minister's Covid19 lockdown easing roadmap announcement and surge in UK travel bookings.
Work With Industry
Vijay engaged with several leading companies (e.g., TUI Group, British Airways, and Cox & Kings New Delhi) and many SMEs in Dorset, Devon and Cornwall counties, besides developing Exec Education projects including DL MBA for Royal Air Force and the Military.
Links and Social Media