UNIVERSITY NEWS LAST UPDATED : 20 SEPTEMBER
We believe there is a pressing need to educate ethical practitioners who have the knowledge, expertise and energy to respond to the crises we face.
Working across Birmingham School of Architecture and Design (BSoAD), we have established a collaborative action group formed of staff and students to ensure we address the challenges head on in all we do. To this end we have established BSoAD EARTH (Environment, Activism, Response, Transform, Habitat), a cross-disciplinary action group formed of staff and students to embed climate action throughout the school and beyond.
What are we doing?
- We are establishing what we already do, sharing best practice initiatives, challenging ‘practice as usual’, posing ideas for change and formulating a school wide action plan.
- We are promoting that all student projects address the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- We are working to engage new Foundation and 1st year students in the Global Climate Strike through Strike a Pose, a project to design wearable protests from recycled materials
- We are holding a summit to bring together staff, students, the city and our professional bodies to debate the issues and formulate an action plan.
- We are creating links to the wider faculty and University to advocate for change and an embedding of ethical and sustainable values in graduate attributes.
We will launch our agenda at the BSoAD Earth Symposium of talks, workshops and exhibitions on 25th March 2020. The day will bring together students, academics, practitioners, the city and our professional bodies to explore how we make the changes required to avert climate disaster.