Study abroad

Outgoing students slider 9

Studying abroad as part of your degree is a fantastic way to differentiate you from the rest. More and more employers now actively seek students with international experience of studying abroad - what a great opportunity to travel and see the world whilst broadening your academic horizons.

What is Study Abroad?

Study Abroad is an exchange programme which lasts for one semester at one of our partner universities outside the EU. You will have the opportunity to obtain credits which are then recognised by BCU. Visit the Where can I go? page for more information on our exchange destinations.

We have exchange opportunities in the USA, Mexico, Australia, South Korea and many more! Please note that your academic study pathway will determine these destinations.

Student with camera

Where can I go?

Find out more information about our exchange destinations
Where can I go >>

Erasmus icon


Find out more about our opportunities within the EU!.
Erasmus+ >>

Summer programmes icon

Summer programmes

Find out about our summer programmes with partner universities around the world!
Summer programmes >>

FCO travel advice for students and staff.

Current FCO guidance advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Some countries and territories are exempt, as they no longer present an unacceptably high risk to people travelling abroad. After careful consideration, BCU has taken the decision to pause all incoming and outgoing mobilities until semester two. This decision will be reviewed in October to ensure the safety of our staff and students.

UK students already studying or working overseas.

As per the FCO guidance, all UK students currently studying or working abroad are advised to return to the UK now, while commercial routes are available. Students currently overseas should be prepared for boarder closures or lockdown measures being introduced at short notice. More details and government advice is available on the website.

Advice for students that are currently abroad and are struggling to return to the UK.
  • If you are a UK national in need of emergency help while overseas as the country you are in does not have commercial travel options available, or will not allow you to travel back to the UK, you can contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission or the FCO in London on 0207 008 1500 for help or advice 24/7.
  • Contact your faculty coordinator and make them aware of the situation.
ADM - Michela Reghellin: 
BLSS - Lydia Gibbs:
CEBE - Marta Cooper: and Martyn Ratcliffe
Conservatoire - Ruth Wootton:
HELS - Ana Indi Amona:
  • Contact your airline and insurer to find out what support they can offer.
  • Follow the advice of local authorities and refer to the latest FCO travel advice when planning to return. 
  • Comply with local isolation, testing and quarantine requirements.
  • If you exhibit any coronavirus symptoms, please follow the guidance provided by the local authorities. Advice can also be found on the NHS website.
  • Subscribe to email alerts for the country you are in via the ‘Get email alerts’ link on a countries travel advice page.

If you find yourself in a position where you cannot return to the UK due to coronavirus, please follow the government guidance