Meet or Beat scholarship
What is Meet or Beat?
- Meet or Beat is a scholarship worth £1,000.
- You are eligible for the £1,000 if you apply to BCU and secure results in the qualifications you are studying that either match or better (‘meet or beat’) our entry requirements.
- The £1,000 is made up of £850 cash and £150 credit to spend in an online shop.
Am I eligible for the Meet or Beat scholarship?
- Meet or Beat applies to anyone hoping to start at BCU in 2020/21, including anyone studying a Level 3 qualification in the 2019/20 academic year for which they are due to receive results in the summer of 2020.
- You are eligible if you are already holding qualifications at the point of application from prior to the relevant academic year – e.g. if you secured A Level, BTEC, Access or IB qualifications in 2019 or earlier.
- Eligible qualifications include Level 3 BTEC, A Level, International Baccalaureate, Access courses, UAL Diplomas, CACHE, and OCR Cambridge Technical qualifications.
- You have to be applying for entry to the first year (Year 1) of an Honours degree course at BCU.
How do I have a chance of getting the Meet or Beat scholarship?
- Apply to Birmingham City University before 30 June 2020.
- Receive an Unconditional or Conditional Offer on a qualifying programme, and achieve the grades that we require.
- Accept Birmingham City University as ‘Firm’ or ‘Insurance’ on UCAS Track before 30 June 2020.
- Note that if your course requires a mandatory interview or portfolio review, you will also need to satisfy the requirements of these stages of the application process.
Information for EU students
- The £1,000 scholarship is available if you are an EU student for fee status purposes and are applying to study at Birmingham City University for a course commencing in September 2020 or January 2021 only.
If you an EU student and accept a place to study at BCU for the academic year 2020/21 and defer your start date to the 2021/22 academic year, the scholarship may not be available.
Who is NOT eligible for the BCU Meet or Beat scholarship scheme?
The scholarship is not applicable if you are:
- Domiciled outside of the UK or European Union.
- Applying to Foundation Year degrees (Year 0).
- Not holding the mandatory/required minimum Level 2 (e.g. GCSE) qualifications for the course to which you are applying.
- Currently studying a Foundation Year at BCU or any other institution.
- Applying to the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, except those applying for Applied Theatre and Stage Management courses.
- Are eligible for the Meet or Beat scheme at the point of application but then do not achieve the grades required for entry to a particular course - in this instance the £150 credit will be awarded only.
How is the scholarship paid?
- The £850 will be paid into your bank account in three instalments during the first year of study.
- The first instalment will be paid the month after BCU has received your first tuition fee payment via Student Finance England.
- Upon enrolling at BCU for the relevant academic year, details of how you can access the £150 credit to spend in an online shop will be communicated to you.
- If you are in debt to the University for your fees, the scholarship will not be paid in cash but instead it will be credited to your student account in three instalments.
- You will have to have provided BCU with accurate bank account details in order to receive the scholarship.