Professor of Moving Image and Photography
Award winning artist, photographer and film maker with an international reputation for focusing on the intersection of the still and moving image.
Influences of identity, psychology, social conditioning, historical archives, and scientific cosmological research constantly feed his practice. Expressed through conceptual documentary, choreographic and kinetically employed approaches, the work is often a primal and sensory experience and embraces the potential of collaboration, pushing the boundaries of innovative technology in creating new art and design languages.
His film and photographic installations for stage and screen focus on the symbiotic relationships of audience, choreography, sound, performance, design and film, where image and process transcend their singular states.
He collaborates frequently with choreographer, Wayne McGregor on numerous projects from film design for dance performance, to photographic and film creations. He has also worked with other globally renowned choreographers, directors, musicians, including Saburo Teshigawara, Phyllida Lloyd, Michael Clark, Zoviet France, Shobana Jeyasingh.
Recent work of note:
- CRAVE production, Sarah Kane, film design and immersive broadcast film, Chichester Festival Theatre.
- Launch artist for ITV creates ident campaign 2019.
- BBC Broadcast of ATOMOS Co-Directed with Wayne McGregor.
- Commissioned by LOCOG and The Royal Opera House to create a unique film installation piece for the opening of the Cultural Olympiad at ROH to heads of state.
- Film design and photographic installations for stage in collaboration with choreographer Wayne McGregor for ATOMOS, Raven Girl and WOOLF WORKS with The Royal Ballet, and most recently AFTERITE at the MET.
Film design creations for stage, commissions, exhibitions, broadcast, collaborative and solo works have been presented around the world at high profile institutions including: Palais Garnier, NY MET, Sadlers Wells, Hatton Gallery, Magnum, Impressions Gallery, Tate Britain, Ikon Gallery, Cornerhouse, The Lowry, Recontres Arles, Royal Opera House Deloitte Ignite 08, Guanzhou Photography Festival, Film and Video Umbrella, BBC, Channel 4, ITV, Winner of the Great North Run Moving Image Award, The BRIT Awards 2016.