Scroll down to see our 175 year journey1843 – 2018

1843

Birmingham Government School of Design is founded

1885

Our School of Art is expanded and becomes the Municipal School of Art based on Margaret Street

1890

Our School of Jewellery opens on Vittoria Street for training in jewellery, silversmithing and similar trades

1895

Construction of the Birmingham Municipal Technical School on Suffolk Street, providing industry-led technical education

1895

Suffolk Street home opens for the Municipal Technical School (a forerunner of BCU)

1896

Classes focused on steam engine and applied mechanics are dropped

1911

First ‘commercial classes’ begin in the newly formed School of Commerce, later to form part of Birmingham Polytechnic, forerunner to Birmingham City University

1934

Our first courses in law are taught at the College of Commerce

1957

First courses in Town Planning, above a Broad Street car showroom

1958

New Westbourne Road home for the City of Birmingham Training College

1964

Completion of new premises at Gosta Green to accommodate our new design departments

1966

North Birmingham Technical College opens, which will go on to become part of Birmingham Polytechnic

1967

Birmingham School of Speech Therapy opens (then part of Matthew Boulton Technical College) and moves to Birmingham Polytechnic in 1972

1971

Construction of Perry Barr campus begins

1975

Forerunners of BCU merge – Anstey College of PE, Bordesley College of Education and City of Birmingham College of Education

1988

Bournville College of Art becomes part of Birmingham Polytechnic, leading to the formation of Birmingham Institute of Art and Design

1992

Birmingham Polytechnic gains university status and becomes the University of Central England. Our department of Graphic Design changes to the Department of Visual Communication

1994

Our School of Law’s American Internship Programme begins, later to become the UK’s largest student internship programme in the USA

2000

The Technology Innovation Centre (TIC), part of BCU, opens at the new Millennium Point building

2007

Opening of the Seacole Building

2014

Our Faculty of Arts, Design and Media is established, with its hub being the £62 million Parkside Building on the institution’s City Centre Campus

2014

Our Faculty of Business, Law and Social Sciences is formed, and one year later moves into the purpose-built Curzon Building on the City Centre Campus

2014

Our Faculty of Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment is formed

2017

We found the UK’s first Centre for Brexit Studies, researching all aspects of the UK’s vote to leave the EU, including the impact it has on trade and the economy as well as the legal system, hate crime and national security

2017

First intake of students on our sports courses

2018

The new Royal Birmingham Conservatoire building at the City Centre Campus is officially opened by HRH The Earl of Wessex