Greater Birmingham & Solihull Institute of Technology
Students across our Engineering and Computing courses automatically become Institute of Technology Learners and can take advantage of the facilities and opportunities provided by the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Institute of Technology (GBSIoT).
What is an Institute of Technology?
- An Institute of Technology (IoT) is an exciting place to gain top-quality training and qualifications in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths (STEM)-based subjects.
- Located across England, IoTs are a national network of partnerships between local colleges, universities, and leading employers.
Who are GBSIoT?
- A partnership of four universities and three colleges:
- Solihull College and University Centre
- Birmingham City University
- Aston University
- South and City College
- BMet College
- University College Birmingham
- University of Birmingham
- Supported by nine employers:
- Bosch (Worcester)
- Continental Engineering Services
- Envisage Group
- Hydra Force
- Salts Healthcare
- A powerhouse for advanced manufacturing and engineering
- Focused on driving your technical education
The GBSIoT Hub, located on Holt Street, is a state of the art facility in the centre of Birmingham that houses the largest Cyber Physical Manufacturing Rig in Europe.
GBSIoT’s cyber-physical manufacturing rig, a scaled down ‘factory of the future’ seamlessly integrates advanced automation, AI, and IoT technologies to optimise production processes. This cutting-edge system enables real-time data analytics, precise control, and adaptive workflows, enhancing productivity, quality, and efficiency. It revolutionises the manufacturing landscape by bridging the gap between physical and digital realms, unlocking new levels of performance and agility.
The GBSIoT Hub is a space that represents an exciting collaboration in Greater Birmingham and Solihull, supports educators and employers alike, showcases the best of engineering and advanced manufacturing, and inspires all to see a different future.
The Hub contains two classrooms with screens and hybrid meeting capability, each classroom can fit up to 20 participants, these can be combined to create a room that has a 40-person capacity. We have coffee and tea available on site for meetings at a low-cost and can provide suggested caterers if you require food. We have multiple areas open for hot desk working for our stakeholders and partners.
GBSIoT Hub is open to use for education, CPD, event and meeting bookings right in the heart of Birmingham.
The Benefits to GBSIoT learners at BCU
- Use of more than £1 million worth of state-of-the-art, industry standard equipment funded for BCU by GBSIoT
- Range of high-tech equipment, including 3D additive printer for metal work and a bespoke test rig for hybrid and electric vehicles
- Access to the GBSIoT’s Hub, including training on the £2 million Cyber Rig
- Pathways onto further learning in the partnership
- Teaching staff have specialised training opportunities from companies such as Siemens and Festo
- Employers recognise GBSIoT programmes as delivering high value qualifications and experiences
- Central to the direction of engineering and technology training across the region
Find Out More
- Visit The Virtual Hub to have a look around this state of the art facility.
- You can find out more at the GBS IoT website – see how they work with employers and local communities.
- Follow GBSIoT on socials, @gbsiot on everything.
- Visit The Hub – chat to your tutor about arranging a visit.
- Check the GBSIoT events page for what's happening across all partner institutions.
- Sign up to the GBSIoT newsletter.