Professor Chris Edger
Professor of Multi-Unit Leadership
- +44 (0)121 331 5221
Professor Chris Edger is the author of thirteen books, including:
- Effective Multi-Unit Leadership – Local Leadership in Multi-Site Situations (described by the Leadership and Organization Development Journal as 'one of the key books of its kind for this decade'),
- International Multi-Unit Leadership – Developing Local Leaders in International Multi-Site Operations
- Professional Area Management – Leading at a Distance in Multi-Unit Enterprises (1st and 2nd Editions)
- Franchising – How Both Sides Can Win (shortlisted for the 2016 Management Book of the Year and nominated as a ‘Top 5 Franchising Read’ by Reed Commercial in June 2016)
- Effective Brand Leadership – Be Different. Stay Different. Or Perish!
- Retail Area Management – Strategic and Local Models for Growth
- Inspirational Leadership – How to Mobilise Super-performance through eMOTION!
- Events Management – 87 Key Models for Event, Venue and Experience (EVE) Managers
- Courageous Coaching – using the BUILD-RAISE Coaching Model
- Coaching Star Performers – Reframing Negative Feelings and Drivers
- Coaching Senior Hires – Transitioning Potential into Performance Quickly!
- Advanced Leader Coaching – Accelerating Personal, Interpersonal and Business Growth
- Outstanding Operations Directors – 31 Case Studies Showcasing Excellence
Chris has held the chair of Multi-Unit Leadership at Birmingham City Business School (BCBS) for over a decade. He has also taught at the University of Birmingham and the Warwick Business School, where he was the winner of several teaching excellence awards on the Warwick MBA Programme.
Chris also has over 20 years' of senior leisure and retail multi-unit operations, sales and support expertise working for domestic and internationally-owned multi-site companies. During his career he held Area Management and Regional Operations Director (400+ units) positions. In addition he has held Executive Board positions as Group HRD, Commercial Director and Sales Managing Director in organisations with multi-site interests in China, Eastern Europe and Germany. He was a member of an Executive Board that transacted two major cross-border M&A deals totalling £2.3 billion and $1.7 billion, respectively.
His specialist teaching and coaching areas on the MSc in Multi-Unit Leadership and Strategy at BCBS – which, to date, has developed over 800 Area Managers and Operations Directors from 22 major UK leisure, hospitality and retail companies - are Service Leadership and Operational Improvement within dispersed multi-site contexts. In 2020 a REF (Research Excellence Framework) Impact Study established that – of those surveyed – 60% of graduates from the course had been promoted, with 98% of respondents agreeing with the statement that ‘Professor Edger’s research, models and books were integral to the Multi-Unit Leadership MSc Programme’.
Described by some commentators as the UK’s leading expert on 'multi-site retail leadership', Chris frequently features in the media having appeared on/written for outlets such as Channel 4 News, ITV, BBC News Online, Which?, City A.M., Propelinfo, The Retail Gazette, Daily Mail, Guardian, Telegraph, Retail Week, Drapers etc. He holds a PhD (ESRC Award) from Warwick Business School, an MSc (econ) with distinction from the London School of Economics, an MBA from NBS, Level 7 Advanced Award in Coaching & Mentoring and is a Fellow of the CIPD and Higher Education Academy.