How We Teach Composition at Birmingham Conservatoire
- Development of your technical skills and a broad understanding of musical and artistic aesthetics necessary to formulate and express a distinct musical voice.
- Expert tutorial staff covering a diverse range of specialisms including progressive classical composition, experimental approaches, jazz, film and media.
- A strong focus on collaboration with students and professionals from other art forms.
- Classes in instrumentation, conducting, orchestration, music technology and creative professional development.
- International exchange programmes, Erasmus and institutional partnerships. We have recently collaborated with Royal College of Music Stockholm, University of Gothenburg, Royal Danish Academy of Music, Royal Hague Conservatory.
- Performance opportunities with Birmingham Contemporary Music Group, Decibel, Schubert Ensemble, Orchestra of the Swan, the Conservatoire’s new music ensemble Thallein and many more.
- Over 250 world premiere performances a year.
- We'll equip you with a transferable skill-set that prepares you for professional careers inside and beyond composition.
- Meet and enjoy guest masterclasses and discussions by internationally celebrated composers during our annual Frontiers+ Festival. Previous guest composers have included Heiner Goebbels and Louis Andriessen. You can watch videos from Frontiers+ Festivals on YouTube.
More detailed information on what we offer postgraduate composition students can be found on our Composition MMus course.