REF 2014 Highlights
Overall research quality rating (grade point average) increased to 2.64, from 2.31 in 2008
Almost 90% of research with either 'outstanding' or 'very considerable' impact
60% of research at 4* and 3* quality, up from 40% in the Research Assessment Exercise 2008
Birmingham City University’s Research Excellence Framework (REF) results demonstrate the significant and wide reaching impact of our research and a marked improvement in overall quality.
Our REF submission was more ambitious than ever before, with more staff submitted in more subjects. We now have 11 subjects where the quality of our research has been assessed as ‘world leading’ (4*), ‘internationally excellent’ (3*) or ‘recognised internationally’ (2*), with an increase in our 4* and 3* research from 40% in 2008 to 60% in 2014.
More about the REF 2014 performance in individual Units of Assessment (UoAs)
- UoA 3 - Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy
- UoA 11 - Computer Science and Informatics
- UoA 16 - Architecture, Built Environment and Planning
- UoA 19 - Business and Management Studies
- UoA 20 - Law
- UoA 22 - Social Work and Social Policy
- UoA 25 - Education
- UoA 29 - English Language and Literature
- UoA 34 - Art and Design: History, Practice and Theory
- UoA 35 - Music, Drama, Dance and Performing Arts
- UoA 36 - Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management
Take a look at the different types of research we have in each of the subject areas.