Request information from other libraries.
Submit an Inter-Library Loan Request
From Semester One, 2020-2021, Library & Learning Resources will be providing an Inter-Library Loan service.
As many of our suppliers are still operating at reduced levels, it may take longer than usual to supply your requested item. We recommend that you allow at least one week for document supply requests and two weeks for loan requests. If you submit a request with a short deadline, we will still apply for the item for you, but it is unlikely that we will be able to get it to you in time. Please plan ahead to avoid disappointment.
Please note that due to copyright restrictions we cannot supply more than one article from any one issue of a journal or more than one chapter from a book.
Click on the button below to submit your inter-library loan requests via our online form:
You may notice a change to our usual request form. If you are unsure how to complete it please contact us by email and we will help.
Take a look at our information below for more details about our current Inter-Library Loans service:
Book loans (and other loanable print items)
- From 14th September 2020, you will be able to apply for book loans again, and where available, the loan of other print materials.
- Our pool of suppliers will be relatively small to begin with, so it is anticipated that it will take longer to obtain loanable print materials than before the lockdown. Please plan your study and research well in advance of any deadlines, and allow at least two weeks to obtain an Inter-Library Loan.
- To help keep you safe, we will only supply materials that you are able to borrow for home use.
- If your requested item is unavailable for interlending we will let you know.
- Please be advised that we are unable to supply full books electronically due to copyright restrictions.
Electronic Document Supply
- We will continue to supply journal articles and book chapters (one per publication) in electronic format, subject to availability.
- There are still delays with document supply, especially where our suppliers need to scan-from-print, i.e. pre-digital era documents. Please plan your study and research well in advance of any deadlines, and allow at least one week to obtain a document.
- If supplied, we will deliver your requested document to your university email address.
- Wherever possible, we will provide the document as an unrestricted PDF file attachment. In the event that the British Library supply the document as a ‘DRM Lite’ file, this will be via a download link, and British Library account registration will be required to access your file. Please follow our separate guidance for accessing your document, and email us if you need any help.
Printed copies of documents (Limited service)
- To help keep you safe, we will no longer produce paper copies of documents for you to collect in person. If a paper copy is needed, please note that this service will only be possible if the British Library can supply the document.
- Please add a note to your request specifying that you need a printed copy of the document. We will then contact you to obtain your permission to share your postal address with the British Library, who will supply the document to you directly, subject to availability.
- Please be advised that this service will likely take longer than electronic delivery, and allow for an estimated two weeks for the document to be posted to you.
- If the British Library are unable to supply, and another library has the document, we will instead send you an unrestricted PDF via email.
- If the document is unavailable in any format we will let you know.
- For students completing your studies in 2019-2020, you will have received an invitation to use the Library Freepost service to return your BCU loans, you may also use this to return your Inter-Library Loans.
- For all other customers, please return your Inter-Library Loans at the designated book return facilities at City Centre or City South Campus only. Use the crate or book return box provided at reception. Please do not attempt to return items at School of Art or School of Jewellery until further notice.
- Be advised that returned items will remain on your record until library staff are available to process them. We have a limited on site staff presence in Semester One 2020-2021, so please bear with us, and allow at least three working days before querying returned Inter-Library Loans.
- We will continue to renew Inter-Library Loans free of charge up 30th September 2020.
- From 1st October 2020, please contact us via email if you need further renewals.
- A renewal charge of £5.35* will be added to your library account if a renewal is granted. *This charge applies to British Library Loans, and will also be applied if you return the loan late and we incur the renewal charge as a result.
- Renewals are not always possible. We will let you know if we are unable to renew your loan, and you must then return it by the date we have given you.
Chat, email or text us your question
We'd love to hear from you, whether you've got a question about the information on this page or want to get in touch about something else.
What to do in an Emergency Situation
In an emergency, including where a First Aider is needed, contact Security on extension...