Practice as Research network
The Practice as Research network (PAR) is a transdisciplinary platform to critically discuss and further enhance practice as research in the Faculty of Arts, Design and Media (ADM).
The term 'practice as research' encompasses the highly nuanced and
individualised ways of engaging with practice in relation to research and the multiplicity of terms to refer to such research (such as practice-led and practice-based research).
In dialogue with its members, PAR seeks to:
- Examine what constitutes practice as research and the forms it may take in order to work towards a critically grounded and expanded understanding of what ‘output’ may mean
- Foster a constructive practice as research culture underpinned by ‘excellence’ and ‘impact’ rather than metrics per se, including the possibilities and limitations of such terms
- Develop appropriate languages and frameworks to conceptualise and articulate practice as research in its many forms, placing such research and its associated outputs on a par with more traditional modes of research and dissemination
- Make visible the narratives, practices and methodologies taking place within ADM, and develop mechanisms to support researchers in all disciplines and career stages to further enhance and frame practice as research
- Shape local research strategies that meaningfully reflect the richness, value and diversity of practice as research at ADM, as well as contribute to wider debates concerning practice as research beyond the University.