How to Apply
Please note the information contained on this page is relevant to our Music course only. If you wish to apply for our Acting courses, information is on this page
To apply for any of our Music undergraduate or postgraduate taught courses you will need to use UCAS Conservatoires
Applications for research degrees (MPhil/PhD) are made directly to Royal Birmingham Conservatoire. To view the research degree course page and apply, please use the button below.
Applying Using UCAS
UCAS isn't always the easiest website to use, so here's our short guide on how to apply for a Royal Birmingham Conservatoire course using UCAS:
1. Register with UCAS
- Enter your personal details, for example name, date of birth, address.
- Once you have completed the registration, a username will be automatically generated, and you will be asked to choose a password.
- Be sure to make a note of your username and password to enable you to log in later.
2. Login to continue your application
- You will then need to login to UCAS with your username and password to continue your application.
- There are full instructions on the UCAS website to help you fill in your application. You can work on it, save it and return to it later using your username and password. You must apply in English.
- If you are stuck, remember to check the UCAS help text first.
3. Provide contact details for two referees
- One of your referees must be able to comment on your academic ability; the other must be able to comment on your musical ability. Your referees should know you well enough to write about you and your suitability for higher education.
- UCAS will not accept references from family, other relatives or friends. The reference forms are available using the below link, and you should email or post them to your referees.
- References should be sent to Conservatoire.Admissions@bcu.ac.uk
4. Fees and payments
- There is a one-off application fee of £25, payable to UCAS on submission of application form.
- For 2020 entry onward, an additional non-refundable audition fee of £75 (£105 for a double audition) is payable to the Conservatoire; this is collected through the UCAS system.
- You can make your payment online using a credit or debit card. The card doesn’t have to be in your name, but you do need the consent of the cardholder. If you can’t pay by card, you can choose to pay by an alternative method, such as cheque, postal order or bank transfer.
- The closing date for on-time applications is on or around 1st October in the year prior to entry.
- You are advised to apply as early as possible. Late applications may be accepted until the end of August (annually) for instruments/areas in which we have unfilled places. Please contact Conservatoire Admissions before you make a late application.
- If you have a disability, we would encourage you to apply as early as possible. Once we are aware of your disability we can try to support your individual needs.
- If you have not made us aware of your disability or you feel you may have a disability, please contact our Admissions Team or our Disability Support team on +44 (0)121 331 6495/7775 (text/voice).
If you still need information or advice, contact the UCAS Customer Service Unit: +44 330 3330 232. Open Monday to Friday, 8.30am-6pm (UK time).