Conducting Auditions for September 2023 entry
(The information below applies to all Orchestral, Choral and Brass Band Conducting applicants)
There will be two rounds of auditions. Applicants must pass Round One in order to proceed to Round Two.
Round Two applicants will be invited to a live audition in the Spring Term.
Applicants may be invited to attend an online interview at some point in the application process.
Applicants for Orchestral, Choral or Brass Band Conducting are required to submit a Portfolio comprising the following items to email@example.com by Sunday 11 December 2022.
- Sample video recordings that feature you as conductor in rehearsal (amounting to a maximum of 30 minutes)
- Videos may feature an ensemble (orchestral/choral/brass) of any size to include chamber-sized groups of a minimum of four musicians.
- The camera should ideally be focused on you as conductor, and if possible on your musicians too.
- A list of concerts performed/rehearsal engagements undertaken in the last two years with repertoire covered
- A programming task: please include sample programmes for a) a lunchtime concert (50 minutes) and b) an evening concert (2 x 40 minute halves)
- N.B. Choral conductors are asked to programme a cappella or with piano or organ accompaniment only.
- Programme note samples (for two different works drawn from the above sample programmes)
- Concert reviews (if any)
You will be asked to conduct one or two pieces with an appropriate ensemble in front of a panel. You will also be interviewed and will undertake musicianship tests. Details of the repertoire and other requirements will be sent to you via email approximately three weeks before the audition.