UNIVERSITY NEWS LAST UPDATED : 03 OCTOBER 2014
We're opening our doors to pianists of all ages and playing levels on Sunday 9 November 2014, for a free day of workshops, masterclasses and performances.
Following on from our popular Strings and Brass Days, Birmingham Conservatoire's Piano Day is a one day celebration of all things piano, as we encourage players of all ages – over ten years-old, and levels of ability into Birmingham Conservatoire, from school students and amateurs, to professionals and experts.
The day itself is free to attend and offers a broad range of free activities to stir and inspire pianists.
There's also the option to book 40 minutes of private one-to-one classical or jazz tuition with one of our expert tutors for only £25 (payable online).
To attend or book a one-to-one tutorial, simply book now via Eventbrite.
- Piano masterclasses (including participation)
- Piano workshops and presentations
- Piano concerts
- Participation in Massed Piano Events
Private one-to-one tuition (£25)
- Individual lesson with a Conservatoire Piano Teacher
- Rare opportunity
- Reduced rate
- Private tuition is free to First Study Birmingham Conservatoire's Junior Pianists. Junior Pianists should contact us for a discount code.
Performers and Tutors
Just some of the talented artists taking part in our Piano Day are:
- Harry the Piano
- Philip Martin
- John Turville (Jazz Piano)
- Rebecca Omordia (Junior BC)
- Margaret Newman (Junior and Senior BC)
- Sharona Joshua (Fortepiano)
- Katharine Lam
- John Humphreys
- Mark Bebbington
- Jan Loeffler
- Daniel Browell (Associate Head of the Department of Keyboard Studies)
- John Thwaites (Head of the Department of Keyboard Studies)
The Piano Day 2014 schedule
- 09:30 (from) Registration
- 10:00-12:00 Welcome from John Thwaites, leading into a Masterclass for young pianists approximately Grades 1-6 (Recital Hall).
- 10:30-12:00 Masterclass with Daniel Browell, approximately Grades 5-8 (Adrian Boult Hall).
- 12:00-13.00 Introductory Workshop with Sharona Joshua, Fortepiano and other Period Pianos (Recital Hall).
- 13.05-14.00 Lunchtime Concert with Professor Philip Martin, to include Chopin (Recital Hall).
- 14:00-14.30 Short Workshop with John Turville, Jazz Piano (Recital Hall)
- 14:00-14.45 Masterclass with Mark Bebbington, Mixed Repertoire (Adrian Boult Hall).
- 14:30-15.30 Masterclass with Philip Martin, Mixed Repertoire including post Grade 8 (Recital Hall).
- 14:45-15.30 Masterclass with Jan Loeffler, Mixed Repertoire (Adrian Boult Hall).
- 15:30-16.30 Rehearsal of Massed Piano Items (Adrian Boult Hall).
- 16:30-17.00 Concert of Massed Piano Items (Adrian Boult Hall). 1) "In C", by Terry Riley, 2) World Premiere of a new commission written for today by Reuben Penny.Lighting Engineer Andy McKeon
- 17:00 Harry the Piano (Adrian Boult Hall).
Private one-to-one tuition schedule
The 40 minute lessons will be scheduled in morning and afternoon slots: