Head of Recorder
Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
- c/o +44 (0)121 331 6902
A graduate of the RCM in London, Annabel Knight has established a successful performing and teaching career as a recorder player and historical flautist, which has taken her across the UK, Europe and America. She has given recitals at the Wigmore Hall and South Bank and many radio broadcasts and CD recordings, notably with the baroque ensemble Passacaglia and with the recorder ensemble, Fontanella. She has also recorded for film soundtracks including Fantastic Mr Fox and Harry Potter.
In 2010 she released a solo disc of music by Gordon Jacob on the Naxos label, in collaboration with the Maggini String Quartet, Fontanella and harpsichordist / pianist Robin Bigwood.
Annabel has more than twenty years teaching experience across all levels. She believes strongly in the identity of the recorder not only as an instrument rich in historical tradition, but also one ideally suited to twenty-first century music and to music education. She is keen to support students as they develop their own skills and strengths to become confident and individual musicians. Annabel has been a syllabus consultant for both the ABRSM and Trinity Guildhall examinations boards and is the founder and director of the popular Woodhouse Recorder Week.
Recent Recordings and Broadcasts
- 2011: (November) Telemann: Time: Travel (Solo Sonatas and Trios with Passacaglia) - BCR 006
- 2011: (October) BBC Radio 3, In Tune
- 2010: (November) 'The Early Music Show', BBC Radio 3
- 2010: CD - Gordon Jacob: Chamber Music with Recorder (Naxos 8.572364)
- 2010: CD - The Fruit of Love with Fontanella Quintet (BCR 004)
- 2010: CD - A Cheerful Collection - Thomas Arne and friends with Passacaglia (BCR 003)
- 2006: CD - Dornel: La Triomphante (Naxos 8.570986)
- 2002: CD - Boismortier Suites and Sonatas with Passacaglia (BCR 002)
- 2001: CD - Telemann Chamber Music with Passacaglia (BCR 001)