Cookies and Privacy

The University uses cookies on this website to provide the best experience possible including delivering personalised content on this website, other websites and social media. By continuing to use the site you agree to this, or your can go to our cookie policy to learn more and manage your settings.

Clearing FAQs

Your questions answered! 

Here, you can find answers to all of our frequently asked questions. If you have a question about your course or enrolment, you can also contact the relevant department using the following email addresses:

Arts, Design and Media
All courses
Business, Law and Social Sciences
Social Sciences
Computing, Engineering and The Built Environment
Engineering and Built Environment
Computing and Digital Technology
Health, Education and Life Sciences
All courses

Applicant and offer-holder coronavirus FAQs

Application/Clearing questions

What time does UCAS Track open?

UCAS Track opens at 8:30am on 10 August. This will allow applicants to see if they have been placed at their firm or insurance choice or are in Clearing.

I have an offer on one course at BCU but would like to be considered for another course?

If you had an offer made to you before Clearing you will need to contact the Admissions team to see if you are able to swap. You will not have an automatic right to swap - you will still need to meet the entry requirements of the new course. If you were offered a place during Clearing and you wish to change you will need to check if the course you wish to switch to is still available.

What should I do if I haven't received my GCSE results?

If you haven't received your results yet please get back in touch when you have your results. GCSEs are not published until 12 August. As soon as you have received your GCSE results, check our website for course availability information in Clearing and call our Clearing Hotline if places are available and you would like to apply.

What should I do if I want to join year two or three of a course?

If applying from the 1 July applications should be made via email to Please complete the BCU application form and include the course and year of entry you wish to apply for. You can download the BCU application here.

BCU is a member of the Midlands Enterprise Universities, as such if you're enquiring with regards to transferring to BCU from: 

  • Coventry University 
  • University of Derby 
  • Nottingham Trent University 
  • University of Wolverhampton 
  • University of Lincoln

Please email with details of the course you are currently studying and the BCU course you would like to transfer to. A copy of your university transcript and an academic reference will also be required to give full consideration to your request to transfer.  

I have a conditional offer for a place to study, when will I receive an update on my offer?

Our decision on your conditional offer will be available for you to view via your UCAS Track account from 830am on Tuesday 10 August. This will be based on the results we have received from UCAS. We are unable to accept results directly from applicants, teachers, advisors or parents before 10 August but please contact after 8.30am if we haven’t confirmed your place and your results are available.

Please note, if GCSEs are a condition of offer, your place won’t be confirmed until you provide evidence of these when they are released on Thursday 12 August. In all cases, your actual results will come direct to you from the awarding body or your school and college so please contact them first.

I have exceptional, extenuating circumstances which have disrupted my studies - who do I contact?

If you've applied to study a BCU undergraduate degree, Foundation Year, Higher National or Foundation Degree course and have experienced issues of a personal, social or domestic nature that have affected your studies, or your ability to meet our published entry requirements or offer, we'd encourage you to let us know by completing our Disrupted Studies form.

We appreciate there are some issues that can't be discussed fully within the personal statement in your application. These are often things of a sensitive nature. The Disrupted Studies form gives you the opportunity to demonstrate how your situation has affected your studies level 2 and level 3 qualifications that are needed as part of our course entry requirements or offer. These should be circumstances that haven't already been mitigated by an examination board, or taken into account prior to awarding marks for formal assessments, such as coursework.

Further information can be found here or you can contact a member of the Admissions Team.
I was told someone would call me back but I haven't heard anything yet?

We’re really busy at the moment, as I’m sure you can understand. We’re processing everything as fast as we can so please be patient, someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

What should I do if I'm an EU or International applicant?

Please email and a member of our International Team will be able to help you.

What should I do if I want to apply through adjustment?

Please email admissions:

I have a disability, will it affect my application?

No it won’t affect your application. But please record it on your application form and someone from the Enablement Team will be in touch to discuss this in further detail and will be able to provide the information you need.

Click here to find out more about our Enablement and Wellbeing services and what support we offer.

Can I start one course and transfer on to another one?

Whilst it is sometimes possible to transfer between courses within the University, this can only be done within a small time frame if you were to want to change shortly after starting a course and it also depends on whether or not places are available on the other course and whether or not you would meet the entry requirements for that course. Therefore, we would stress that we cannot guarantee that switching courses will be possible and you should ensure that you choose the course you want to apply for carefully and be aware that you may not be able to change from it if you change your mind.

How do I apply for the January intake for nursing?

If you already have your qualification results and the January intake has vacancies advertised in Clearing, you can apply now. If you are waiting for qualification results, please check with us once you have received confirmation of these so we can advise about the most appropriate method to apply at that time.

Do you accept foundation years as entry requirements?

If you have a foundation year but don't have enough UCAS points from A Levels, please call the Clearing hotline on 0121 331 6777 to we can pass you through to the faculty to make a decision.

After an offer

Where's my offer email?

Your offer email should be with you within an hour of you receiving the offer. It's if it has been longer please contact our admissions team, who will check your details.  

What do I do next?

You need to accept your offer on UCAS; make sure you’ve released yourself from your firm/insurance choices  and then add your offer into UCAS. You then need to consider accommodation and student finance.

How long does my offer last?

Your offer lasts 24 hours, which gives you time to put your offer into UCAS. Your offer email should tell you how to do this, but if you’re not sure please let us know.

I'm waiting for another university to release me into clearing - will my place disappear?

Try not to panic, your place is yours, we won’t give it away in a hurry. However, try to put your offer into UCAS as quickly as possible. You can decline your place and enter into Clearing through UCAS Track so you don't need to wait for a another university to release you. If you're having problems, please email our admissions team and let them know. 

How do I prove my qualifications?

You will have to upload details into the enrolment portal or bring them on your first day. 

How do I get released from an offer?

You can decline your place on UCAS Track to enter into Clearing.

Why haven't you released me yet?

We’re really busy at the moment, as we're sure you can understand. We’re processing everything as fast as we can so please be patient. Make sure you've declined your place from your existing offers so that you can add your new offer.

Why do I have an interview?

Some courses ask for an interview before they give you a place. You should have all the information about where you’re going and what you’re doing, but if you don’t please get in touch with the department.

I can't make my interview what do I do?

Contact the department directly, they’ll be able to help you.

When do I hear about my interview results?

The interviewer should have told you when, we try and make a decision quickly. If you haven’t heard after a couple of days, get in touch with the department directly. 


How do I enrol?

Once your offer is confirmed, you'll get an email soon explaining how to enrol with set-by-step instructions, so keep an eye out!

Where's my enrolment email?

It should be with you soon, once your offer has been confirmed. But, if you email admissions with your UCAS ID, full name and correct email address they can check we’ve got the right email address for you.

I'm stuck on enrolment, I need help

If you’re stuck on enrolment please email and they’ll be able to help you!

When do I get my student ID card?

Your student ID card will be sent in the post to you once you've completed your online enrolment. If it is not possible to send your student ID card in the post, you will be sent some information about when and where to collect your student ID card. 

When I applied for the course I used the wrong email. Can I change this?

You can ask your Faculty/School to change this for you and re-send the invitation email. You can find contact details for your subject area at the top of this page.

I have enrolled online, but I need to complete my enrolment on campus, does that mean I can't set up my email?

As long as you’ve completed the online process of your enrolment, you will have access to our systems including your BCU email, our internal web portal iCity and our online learning platform Moodle.

You will find your network login details within your personal details on the enrolment portal.

I have enrolled online, but I need to come to campus for an on-campus appointment. How do I complete this?

You will have been given an induction/enrolment date on the enrolment portal, but you can also search for the date for your course. The page will tell you when and where to attend and what to bring with you to complete your enrolment.

If I'm waiting to complete my enrolment on campus, does that mean I can't setup my email?

As long as you’ve completed the online process of your enrolment, you will have access to our systems including your BCU email, our internal web portal iCity and our online learning platform Moodle.

You will find your network login details within your personal details on the enrolment portal.

The link to my induction date isn't working. Where can I find the information?

You can search for the date for your course here.

I have a query about my induction and can't find the information on the website. Who do I contact?

You will need to contact your Faculty/School admin team about this. You can find contact details for your subject area on our website.

Induction information will also be available on your timetable, which you can access on iCity from the end of August.

I've just completed my foundation/first/second year and need to re-enrol. How did I do this?

You will receive an email to your BCU inbox over the next couple of weeks inviting you to enrol. You can do this online on MySRS and it only takes 10 minutes.

You will need to contact your School Office about this.

I've been asked to re-enrol for the wrong course.

You will need to contact your Faculty/School admin team about this.


How do I apply for accommodation?

You can apply for accommodation here.

Where is this accommodation?

We can't be specific about where you will be placed for accommodation as it depends on what rooms are still available. You can find out more about the different options we offer on our Accommodation page.

I don't like this accommodation - can I move?

If you don’t like the accommodation you’ve been allocated please email our accommodation team to discuss your options.

Where should I live?

You can apply for student accommodation by visiting our accommodation site. But if you’d like to live in private accommodation we’d recommend looking at BCUSU’s website which can help you find somewhere to live.

Student Finance

General information can be found here

How do I apply for student finance?

You can read more about how to apply for student finance here - it’s very easy to do!

Can I have a scholarship or bursary?

You can read more about scholarships and bursaries here and the financial support available to undergraduates here. Did you know we offer £150 to all students who enrol to spend in our online shop?

How do I transfer my student finance?

Contact Student Finance in order to notify them of any changes to the course and/ or institution you are applying for. Further information about making changes to your student finance application can be found online.

The start of term

Where's my timetable?

You will be sent your timetable closer to the start of term with details of when you have classes on campus. You'll be able to access your timetable on iCity or on the iBCU appso long as you've completed your online enrolment. 

When does term begin?

The majority of courses will start on Monday 21 September, but you will also need to attend your course induction beforehand, which you can search for here.

When is reading week? Can I go on holiday?

Not all courses have a reading week, so we would recommend getting in touch with your department to find out if you do have one, and bear in mind that reading week isn’t exactly a holiday, it’s a chance to get essays, coursework and reading done! 

Who's my personal tutor?

You’ll be assigned a personal tutor during your first week at uni, if not before so keep an eye on your emails! 

Where do I go on my first day?

You’ll be told where to go in your enrolment confirmation email, but if you don’t have this, you can search for the details for your course here