Bench-scale and pilot-scale testing:
- 400 litre photobioreactor (sponsored by Varicon Aqua Solutions Ltd)
- Bench scale shaker flask cultivation of algae 2-10l
- Centrifugation/ Ultrasonic Cavitation (Enpure Ltd) for dewatering microalgae and lipid extraction
- AD performance testing – Toxicity assays and Biomethane potential testing.
Wide range of physical, organic and inorganic parameters
- X-Ray Fluorescence
- Spectrophotometer, UV
Engine Test Cells
Purpose built transient engine test facilities have been commissioned for the support of both academic and commercial R&D. The facility is capable of handling both passenger car and heavy duty vehicle power units and has the following key features:
- Low inertia AC dynamometers (220 kW, 467 Nm,12,000 rpm and 340 kW, 2165 Nm, 3500 rpm)
- Multiple Fuels (diesel, gasoline, biofuels)
- Intake Air and Fuel conditioning (temperature and humidity control)
- Twin Channel Raw Emissions Measurement (Particulate Partial Flow Sampling, Hydrocarbon Analyser, NOX Analyser, triple analysis of CO2, CO, O2)
- Multiple channels, high and low speed, digital plus analogue data capture (including combustion analysis)
The Centre for Low Carbon Research is able to offer a collaborative team that can support base engine development and flex fuel design and evaluation services in preparation of the emergence of alternative bio-fuels, including;
- Cylinder and port geometry design optimisation
- Injection strategy optimisation (GDI, Port Injection, CI)
- Valve timing optimisation
- Manifold design
- Emissions reduction
Underpinning these services would be both predictive and experimental resources, including induction/exhaust system modelling and computational fluid dynamics.
For more information contact Professor Adrian Cole.