Your Students’ Union
You may be unsure about what students’ unions provide, or think that it is just the place to come to when you want cheap drinks. The real truth about your Students’ Union here at Birmingham City University is that we’re about much, much more!
The first time you’ll properly get to know your Students’ Union is just before you come to the University. The BCUSU Welcome Week web pages (formerly known as Freshers’ Week) on the BCUSU website tell you about the fantastic entertainment programme that we host, designed to ease you into university life the fun way.
We’ll also send you a brand new information guide, packed full of hints and tips about being a new student and what your Students’ Union can do for you.
Our Information Fair (formerly Freshers’ Fair) gets bigger and better every year, attended by hundreds of representatives from the University, local and national companies, your Students’ Union and our sports teams and societies, to help you get accustomed to university life.
What we offer
Although at first you may just think of your Students’ Union as being all about fun and entertainment, it should be a major part of your life throughout your time here! We not only continue our varied and exciting, entertainments programme (that you came to love during Welcome Week) throughout the academic year; we’re also here to help you with the following:
- Become more employable through our many workshops, seminars and practical sessions.
- Advise you on any issues you may have with your work, personal life, housing or anything where you may need extra help and support.
- Campaign on your behalf if you wish to see change within the Union or University.
- Provide you with the opportunity to participate in a wide range (almost 200) of sports and societies, ranging from rugby and hockey to fashion and yoga, and allow you to compete competitively against other universities.
- Feed you delicious and purse-and-wallet-friendly food, from our cafes and lounges and, as a not-for-profit organisation, everything you spend gets ploughed straight back into providing extra services for you!
Best Practice winner in the NUS Student Engagement Awards 2011
The Students’ Union and the University’s Centre for Enhancement of Learning and Teaching (CELT) won the award for the Virtual Students’ Union as part of a national celebration. They were praised for preparing prospective students for progression into higher education and integrating into university life
- Find your perfect student home through our very own lettings agency.
- Provide you with the opportunity to volunteer in many local and national projects that will look great on your CV.
- Show you how to enjoy Birmingham as the great student city that it is! We’ll show you the best places to enjoy nights out, to eat and to shop, and the many great cultural sights.
- And more than anything, we’ll be that one extra friend that you can always count on to help you whenever you need us!