Health care

Current students can find us on iCity

Student Affairs info is available on our student portal, iCity (A university login is required).

Go to iCity

If you're moving to Birmingham to start your studies, don’t wait until you are ill to register with a doctor!

We provide a comprehensive, convenient, NHS* health care service for our current students, who register as a patient with the University health care providers. We have medical consulting rooms at Curzon Building, City Centre Campus and City South Campus.

Our health care service is provided by Handsworth Wood Medical Centre (part of the Modality Partnership), one of the largest surgeries in the heart of Birmingham. It is staffed by an experienced female nurse prescriber practitioner.

How we can help you

Health care staff offer confidential help and information on a range of health-related issues, carry out treatment and make referrals to other health care professionals. Our services include:

  • Medical advice, diagnosis and treatment of illnesses
  • New and repeat prescriptions for medicines
  • Advice about problems with food, diet and weight management
  • Support for and management of mental health difficulties
  • Contraception provision and sexual health screening and treatment
  • Monitoring of existing chronic diseases (eg asthma, diabetes, epilepsy)
  • Guidance and support for alcohol and drug-related difficulties
  • Travel advice and travel booster vaccinations
  • University medical notes (eg for extenuating circumstances)

*The NHS (National Health Service) is the UK's state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services. Some services are free and some have to be paid for. If you are not normally resident in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website for more information about health care in the UK.