Senior Lecturer, LLB Year 1 Tutor, Module Leader for Evidence, Proof and Argument
- +44(0)121 331 5264
Jill is a Senior Lecturer in Law, and LLB Year 1 Tutor. She is the module leader for Evidence, Proof and Argument and co-teaches the lectures in Criminal Law on the LLB.
Jill is the co-author of Card, Cross and Jones Criminal Law textbook. Jill undertakes research in the field of evidence and criminal law. She is particularly interested in socio-legal issues and law reform. Jill has presented her scholarship across England and Scotland. Jill is currently undertaking research on the impact of the changes to the doctrine of Joint Enterprise following the Supreme Court’s decision in R v Jogee, and is undertaking research on reckless transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.
Jill is a barrister and member of the Honourable Society of Inner Temple. Jill has been nominated and/or shortlisted for a number of the NUS Extra-Mile Awards between 2013-16, including her contribution to employability (nominated, 2013), personal tutor of the year (nominated, 2014 and 2016; shortlisted, 2015), and lecturer of the year (nominated, 2014).
Areas of Expertise
Law of Evidence
- Bar Vocational Course
- LLB Law and Criminal Justice
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education
Fellow, Higher Education Academy UK, 2010
Member, The Honourable Society of Inner Temple
- Criminal Law
- Evidence, Proof and Argument
- Joint Enterprise
- Transmission of sexually transmitted diseases
- Law reform
- Card and Molloy, Card, Cross and Jones Criminal Law, 2016, 22 edition, Oxford University Press.
- Court of Appeal: Quashing an Acquittal and Double Jeopardy (August 2011) JoCL 75 (272)
- Court of Appeal: Courts, Sentencing and Article 3 (April 2011) JoCL 75 (101)
- Divisional Court: Publication of Defendants' Home Addresses (February 2011) JoCL 75 (8)
- Court of Appeal (Criminal Division): Fresh Evidence Affording a Ground of Appeal (August 2010) JoCL 74 (298)
- Court of Appeal: Facial Mapping Expert Evidence (February 2010) JoCL 74 (20)
- Court of Appeal: Trial on Indictment without a Jury (December 2009) JoCL 73 (466)
- Appointed case-note writer for the Journal of Criminal Law, 2010
Conferences and Seminar Presentations
- Conference Paper ‘The Future of Joint Enterprise – the position after the R v Jogee’ presented at the SLS Annual Conference in September 2016
- Conference Paper ‘Reckless Transmission of Serious Diseases – An Opportunity to Reconsider the Approach taken by the Court of Appeal in R v Dica and R v Konzani’ presented at the SLS Annual Conference in September 2015
- Conference Paper 'Loss of Control - An Effective Defence for Women who Kill their Abusers?' presented at the SLSA in April 2012
- Seminar Presentation on 'the partial defences to murder' presented at Birmingham City University in February 2012
- Conference Paper 'Loss of Control - the impact in domestic violence cases?' presented at the Scottish Young Legal Researchers Colloquium in April 2011
- Attendance at a number of additional conferences, including the SLSA in 2009 and practitioner conferences on criminal law and evidence in 2010, 2011 and 2015.