Centre for Internal Audit, Governance and Risk Management
The Centre runs programmes in relation to a number of postgraduate courses and delivers these on campus through full-time, block release or flexible learning or at a client premises to suit the needs of employers and individual students.
Centre Course Portfolio
The course portfolio of the Centre includes:
- MSc Audit Management and Consultancy. This course is full and part time (including a flexible learning option) and combines academic and professional learning at postgraduate level, preparing students for the examinations of the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors. This programme is run as a ‘Dual Award’ meaning that on completion students will receive both a relevant academic qualification as well as the CMIIA qualification of the IIA, subject to completion of a 3 year experience log.
- Learning support will also be provided for students wishing to study independently for the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) qualifications and examinations of IIA Inc. The Centre’s programme will be called CIA Assure+ and will be available as virtual learning environment from January 2012.
- The Centre works with the Institute of Risk Management (IRM), and has an accredited programme – MSc Risk Management that delivers exemption from levels 1 and 3 of the IRM examinations. Students may join the programme at entry points to suit both their academic and professional experience.
- A programme of study is also available for the Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) qualification offered by ISACA, preparation and revision courses are available on a six monthly timetable to coincide with the professional body examinations.
Our close working relationships with our professional and business partners is a particularly important focus for us, as it enables us to invite key practitioners into the lecture programme. This adds real value by combining academic teaching with reality. It maintains a connection with current thinking in terms of internal audit, governance, risk management and consultancy, with which we can infuse our learning.
The Centre is a recognised school with the Institute of Internal Audit Education Programme (IAEP) of the Institute of Internal Auditors.
Collaboration and research
We also work very closely with a number of leading Institutes. These include:
- The Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors and the Global Institute of Internal Auditors,
- The Institute of Risk Management
Through our courses, we enhance future learning and career progression whilst contributing to the development of internal audit on a worldwide basis.
The Centre is actively engaged in a research programme and is currently undertaking a major research initiative working with the IIA Research Foundation to explore the impact on Internal Audit on the Business Cycle throughout the private, public and voluntary sectors.
The Centre has a dedicated research group which considers matters relating to Governance and Corporate Social Responsibility which supports our involvement in an active PhD programme for students wishing to study topics related to the work of the Centre.