Sustainable Travel Plan
Did you know…?
Research suggests that over 10,000 premature deaths per year are caused by pollutants from cars in the UK.
What are we doing?
Traffic emissions emit a mix of pollutants such as carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and particulates, contributing to climate change, reducing our air quality and increasing the risk of respiratory diseases. Birmingham City University is a multi-campus university with around 24,000 students and 2,800 staff. As such, travel is an area where we have a significant impact on the environment.
Travelling more sustainably can make a huge difference to your carbon footprint, and cycling and walking can also improve fitness and save money. At Birmingham City University we are transforming our Sustainable Travel Plan to encourage our students and staff to travel sustainably, wherever feasible. Find out more below…
- Visit our Travel Pages to find out about how you can benefit from an improved commute.
- Download our existing Sustainable Travel Plans for our campuses. We are currently in the process of updating these:
- National Rail - Rail journey planning and live status updates.
- CityMapper - A popular app for navigating urban public transport, including train, tube, bus, Uber, bike and walking.
- UK Bus Checker - Live up-to-date arrival information for each bus. In most cities and towns, this is real-time live information based on the GPS receivers in each bus.
- Changers CO2 Fit - The app measures the distance travelled through walking, cycling or using public transport, and calculates the amount of CO2 saved and rewards you with bonuses.
What can you do?
- Cycle or walk to work.
- Use public transport instead of driving.
- Visit the Travelwise website to help plan your routes.
- If you cannot avoid using the car, why not save money and share the driving. LiftShare offers a simple way to car share around the country. Alternatively, you could speak to colleagues in your team or buildings for opportunities to car share.
- Keep informed about Birmingham City University travel updates and improvements which could affect your commute by keeping an eye on TigerTalk and Birmingham City University social media
- Attend our Sustainable Travel Eventsto find out more.
- Download our Sustainable Travel Policy
- When travelling for business, please consider the Business Travel Hierarchy below, to determine the most suitable mode of travel for your journey.
- In the case of travel by air, only utilise this where there is no other viable travel option. Ensure to seek approval of the budget holder (or the budget-holder's line manager for the purposes of the budget-holders own travel).