Birmingham City University is a Fairtrade accredited University. Our environmentally aware and award-winning catering partner, BaxterStorey, are also working with us to continually improve the University’s environmental catering performance, and have implemented a Sustainable Catering Policy and Targets to drive these improvements forward. BaxterStorey is already:
- Using local suppliers where possible, including bakers, butchers and vegetable suppliers.
- Running a Keep Cup offer in Go Green Week 2018, and from September 2018 there will be an increased discount of 15p on hot drinks for staff or students that bring their own mug or Keep Cup in.
- Providing seasonal food.
- Selling Fairtrade produce such as coffee and chocolate.
- Only using Red Tractor assured chicken, beef and pork products.
- Only using tuna that is pole or line caught.
- Providing free range eggs in all University catering.
- Using only rapeseed oil in frying and food production due to its nutritional benefits and UK production.
- Making sandwiches on site to reduce mileage.
- Collecting waste oil to be used in the production of bio fuel.
- Weighing and separating food waste to monitor its production and to find ways to reduce it.
- Positively promoting healthy food and healthy eating options.
- Purchasing A-rated, high efficiency appliances and equipment for catering purposes.
- Sending waste ground coffee to the gardening team for the Estate, with more available for staff and students to take home for free for their gardens.
Birmingham City University and BaxterStorey won the ‘Best Greener & Healthier Lifestyles Food Scheme’ in the Making Birmingham Greener and Healthier Awards 2017 for our work in sustainable catering and encouraging healthy options.
At Birmingham City University
As well as the continuous catering improvements above:
- We also have allotments on our City South Campus for students to use and grow their own fruit and vegetables.
- Free drinking water points are provided at all campuses for staff, students and visitors.
- We run an annual Fairtrade Fortnight, getting involved in a range of events and initiatives, including a Birmingham City University Fairtrade Bake Off – See our Events Page for more information.
- Our catering contractor, BaxterStorey, recently won the edie 2018 ‘Operator of the Year for Energy Efficiency & Sustainability’award.