Third party verifications

We are pleased to announce the implementation of the Higher Education Degree Datacheck (Hedd) online verification service for employers and agencies to verify Birmingham City University awards.  

The system has been developed by Graduate Prospects, in consultation with universities, employers and screening agencies. Funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and launched by Graduate Prospects, Hedd is now being used by many institutions throughout the UK.

The online candidate verification service allows registered enquirers to input data provided by applicants (name, date of birth, institution, year of graduation, qualification classification etc). 

How to register

To make an enquiry you need to register with Hedd by visiting Select ‘Birmingham City University’ from the list of UK higher education institutions and choose the option to 'verify a degree award'. There is a charge of £14 per enquiry. If you require further assistance, please email 

You will also be required to upload a signed consent form.

Making an enquiry

You’ll need the graduate’s name, date of birth, course, qualification and their year of graduation and degree result. If you require dates of attendance, please request this at the time of making the enquiry.

We recommend that you ask to see the degree certificate if there is one, and use that as the basis of your verification enquiry, or ask individuals to give you their data as they believe it’s recorded in the student records system. Once your information has been submitted, the enquiry will be accessed by the university for manual verification, with a 10 working-day turnaround time.

Birmingham City University will not accept third party enquiries unless through the Hedd system. Any enquiry received through any other means will be deleted. 


If you require further assistance, please email, including your phone number if you would like a call back.