Our redesigned Jazz course runs two classes (at intermediate and advanced levels) each Saturday. The most accomplished students may be offered the opportunity to work in the advanced ensemble.
The course concentrates on developing improvisation skills and general jazz musicianship, and is available for the following instruments:
- Saxophone, trumpet, trombone
- Piano, guitar, bass guitar, double bass
- Drums and percussion.
Other instruments may be accepted at the Junior Conservatoire’s discretion.
Jazz classes last around 2½ hours and involve a combination of:
- Jazz theory and aural
- Jazz combo coaching
- Improvisation classes
Selection onto the course is by Audition.
- Principal study lesson (60 minutes) available in clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, drum kit, keyboard, guitar and double bass.
- Extra time for principal or second study lessons
- Advanced ensemble
- One-to-one composition lessons
You are required to undertake an annual assessment in the form of a public performance and a technical exam. These exams monitor your development as you progress through the Junior Conservatoire and provide a focus to each year’s work. In addition to our internal assessment, Associated Board exams are held in the Conservatoire at the end of each term.