The Classical course concentrates on western classical music, offering specialist one-to-one tuition, plus a range of ensemble activities designed to develop both technical skill and musicality. There are frequent performance opportunities.
Principal study areas
- Violin, viola, cello, double bass, guitar, harp and lever harp
- Flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, recorder
- Trumpet, French horn, euphonium, trombone, tuba
- Piano, organ, harpsichord
The minimum weekly package is made up of:
- Principal study lesson 60 minutes
- General musicianship class 60 minutes
- Chamber music or ensemble
- Choir 45 minutes
- Orchestral training (audition required) 60-150 minutes
- Extra time for principal or second study lessons
- One-to-one composition lessons
Selection onto the course is by Audition.
You are required to undertake an annual assessment in the form of a public performance and a technical exam. These exams monitor your development as you progress through the Junior Conservatoire and provide a focus to each year's work. In addition to our internal assessment, Associated Board exams are held in the Conservatoire at the end of each term.