If you're about to start your degree or enter your second year or Masters then this course may be exactly what you need to develop your academic skills.
Established in 2004, the Head Start Programme is a free opportunity designed primarily for incoming first year UK students who want to get ahead. Postgraduate and international students are also welcome to attend. These courses (Head Start: Your First Assignment or Head Start Maths) are your chance to learn about and enhance these skills before your new academic year begins.
Your First Assignment
This course runs at City Centre Campus and covers academic writing and academic skills.
You can book a space in one or both of the classes by using the iCity Events system.
You can learn more about how your study skills can be improved before dealing with the workload of your course. The session will cover:
- Making changes
- Time management and organisation
- Getting the most from lectures
- How to proofread and edit.
ITo get the highest marks it is essential to learn and understand the academic writing rules. The session will cover:
- The key rules of academic writing
- Academic language
This course is an online pre-sessional course with additional lab-based workshops during term time.
For the pre-entry online Maths course – please email your student ID to Maggie.Gibson@bcu.ac.uk to enrol on this course. The online material will be available from mid-September.
- Calculation strategies (including long division and multiplication)
- Positive and negative numbers
- Decimals and Percentages
- Rounding and Estimation
- Indices and Unit Conversions.
- Introductory Algebra (collecting terms, simplifying expressions)
- Using Brackets
- Solving Equations
- Using Formulas
- Applications of Numeracy and Algebra.