Visiting our libraries
Who can visit Birmingham City University libraries?
University of Birmingham students and Junior Conservatoire
University of Birmingham students attending lessons at the Conservatoire can apply for fee exempt External membership. You need to complete a form available from the Conservatoire Library Help Desk.
Junior Conservatoire students can apply for fee exempt External membership. You need to complete a form available from the Junior Department Secretary.
Members of the public and students and staff from other institutions are welcome to use Birmingham City University libraries.
There are four types of access to our libraries:
- SCONUL Access
- External Library Users alumni
- External Library User reference only
- prospective research students.
You must register at the Help Desk at any of our libraries during staffed hours.
If you're a student or member of staff at another Higher Education institution, you may be able to join us through the SCONUL Access scheme. You can apply for authorisation on the SCONUL Access website. If successful you'll receive an authorising email that you'll need to print off and bring to us along with your institution ID card. More information is available on the SCONUL Access website.
External Library Users scheme - alumni
Members of the public who have graduated a degree course at Birmingham City University can choose to register with us for one year's borrowing membership. This will provide you with access to any of our libraries.
- There is a £35 charge payable on application (this is non-refundable)
- You'll need to provide proof of alumni status and name and current UK address (dated within three months of application)
- You'll need to bring your library card with you every time you want to access the library – no card, no access
- A replacement charge of £10 is made for lost cards.
This scheme allows you to borrow up to four items at any one time. Application can be made for a username and password to provide computer access. Please note that this membership is not intended for access to our electronic resources. There are limitations to accessibility due to licensing agreements and these are liable to change without notice. Please note we don't have any arrangements to pay for off-campus access if you are not a current student.
Membership is at the discretion of the Director of Library and Learning Resources
External Library Users scheme - reference only
Members of the public can apply for a card to use any Birmingham City University library for reference for a total of five visits in a 12-month period for no charge.
You'll need to register on the day of your first visit providing:
- proof of name and current address (dated within three months of application)
- a passport-sized photograph
When you're registered you'll need to have your library reference card with you each time you visit Birmingham City University libraries. This card can't be replaced so if it's lost you'll be allowed no further visits in that year. No card, no access.
Please contact the library that you're interesting in visiting for further information.
Prospective research students
If you're a research degree student who has not yet formally registered with the University you can apply to join the library in advance of your formal enrolment.
- The application must be supported by the research supervisor and the Head of Department.
- A refundable deposit of £30 is charged. This will be refunded when you're able to enrol as a full student of the University and/or when all library material is returned.