This module has been designed to equip you with the skills needed to develop a reflective profile that can provide additional academic credit to access a top-up degree programme. The course will enhance your writing skills, providing the opportunity to write up learning experiences from practice and provide an appreciation of the requirements/style of academic writing.
Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme (CATS) rating
The Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme is a system in which you can accumulate the credits and build them towards recognised awards, if you so wish. This single module course provides 15 credits at level 5 (diploma level) for successful completion of the module. Further credits can be gained through the submission of an additional profile.
This module could count towards a Top-Up Degree
Entry requirements/level of experience
This module is open to any health Care professional requiring academic credits at diploma level.
Areas of study
On completion of the module, you will be able to:
- Conduct a literature search
- Critically analyse the key literature pertaining to a specified subject area.
- Demonstrate word-processing skills to include the compilation of a reference list and/or bibliography using the Harvard system.
- Differentiate between writing styles required for reflective essays, discursive essays, letters, reports and articles for publication.
- Compile a reflective profile to include evidence of learning from practice/experience.
- Summative - two essays of approximately 1000 words each.
- If you would like to apply for additional credit you will need to compile a reflective profile of experiential learning which will be assessed against the standard assessment criteria for the level at which you require credit (normally level 5) up to a maximum of 45 credits.
If you're unable to use the online form for any reason, you can complete our pdf application form instead.
Online application and enrolment process
- Complete an online application form via the link. The form requires you to submit a completed authorised funding form which must be uploaded with the application. Alternatively, you can download a hard copy application form.
- When your submitted application form has been processed and approved, details of the module and enrolment details will be sent to the email address stated on your application form.
- You will be sent an email asking you to complete your online pre-enrolment. This must be completed before you enrol.
- Without proof of funding, you will not be able to complete your enrolment/receive online pre-enrolment email. The funding form must be received within four weeks of the enrolment date; otherwise you will be withdrawn from the course.
Please submit your application as early as possible. We aim to give you a decision within two weeks of receiving your application. Please note that NHS Trust application deadlines may differ from our own and you should check with your NHS Trust training/education contact for confirmation of their deadlines.
Please ensure that you include full details of your qualifications and relevant work experience as part of your application.
Method of payment
The method of payment of your course fees will differ depending on whether you are a self-funding, sponsored or contracted/commissioned applicant. Definitions are provided below and you must choose the appropriate option when prompted. If you are unsure which funding method applies to you please consult your training/education contact in your NHS Trust prior to applying:
You are paying for the course and responsible for the fees.
Select 'Self Funded' when making your application.
Course fees are paid directly by the employer/NHS Trust which means we invoice your employer/NHS Trust to obtain payment.
To apply for this course you must download and complete the CPD Sponsorship Agreement Form, and submit it with your application. The upload facility is available in Section 3 of the application form: Fees and Sponsorship.
Select ‘Sponsored (eg employer, NHS Trust, charity)’ when making your application’.
The NHS Trust agrees with HE West Midlands for your course fees to be paid directly to the University from funds managed by HE West Midlands for pre-agreed programmes.
To apply for this course you must obtain a contracted/commissioned financial support form from your Trust contact and upload the completed form and submit it with your application. The upload facility is available in Section 3 of the application form: Fees and Sponsorship.
Select ‘Funded by HE West Midlands (Contracted/Commissioned)’ when making your application.