International Continuing Professional Development courses
- Administrators Programme
- Heads of Department programme
- English Teachers Summer School programme
- Additional activities and visits
Who is it for?
This programme is designed for participants from a range of countries which included English language teaching as part of their curriculum. Ideally participants should be English language specialist teachers involved in teaching English in schools, colleges and universities and qualified to degree level. However, we are able to accommodate groups of teachers and lectures with a good level of English language competency and are also able to arrange interpreters to support participants if necessary as part of an agreed programme.
When is it?
The course runs for two or three weeks in July or August each year.
Aim of the course
The main focus of this programme is to improve participants English language competence and to develop their understanding of English teaching methodologies. The programme can be delivered in home countries or delegates may wish to attend the programme in the UK. The programme is based on our successful English Language, Culture and Pedagogy Summer School which we have run in China since 2007. Tailor made programme can be put together to meet individual requirements and may include some of the following taught sessions:
- Introduction to UK culture and etiquette
- Tour of historic and modern Birmingham
- The UK education system
- English language and culture and misconceptions about the English
- Background to language learning and teaching in the English education system
- Globalization of English as a language
- Development of language acquisition
- Developing English language skills
- Registers of English for formal and informal occasions
- Developing English language teaching - English pronunciation with practical workshops
- Developing language skills - worldwide English accents and dialects
- Resources and strategies for developing English reading skills
- Current issues affecting schools in the UK
- Lesson observation protocol
- Visits to a number of schools to observe English language teaching and interactive teaching methods in use in the classroom
- Organising Learning – cooperative learning groups and other ways to facilitate group work
- Classroom management and practical teaching skills
- Peer teaching experiences and simulation exercises aimed at developing practical teaching skills
- Planning engaging lessons
We offer a flexible framework for negotiating fees for our programmes, tailored CPD provision and consultancy services. Please contact us to discuss your needs and we will provide you with a detailed quote.
Contact for further information
If you are interested in finding out more about our international continuing professional development courses, please contact:
Phil Taylor, CPD Programme Director
Telephone: +44 (0)121 331 7351