Head of Organ Studies
- c/o +44 (0)121 331 6903
Visit Henry Fairs' website
Past / Forthcoming Major Projects
- 2012-2015: JS Bach - organ works
- 2011: Alain - organ works (performed in three concerts)
- 2011: 'Lisztomania' - Three Great Organ Works and Reubke Sonata (Birmingham and Edinburgh)
- 2008: Messiaen - organ works (six concerts for the Barber Institute of Fine Arts/University of Birmingham)
- 2002: Duruflé - organ works
Areas of Expertise
- Organ performance, teaching and pedagogy
Henry Fairs is Head of Organ Studies at Birmingham Conservatoire and organist to the University of Birmingham. Since winning first prize at the Odense International Organ Competition, his concert career has taken him to the major European centres of organ music and to America, performing solo recitals and concertos on both historic and modern instruments.
Born in Hereford in 1976, he received his earliest musical training as a chorister at Leominster Priory. After studies with David Saint, graduating with First Class Honours from Birmingham Conservatoire and gaining the Fellowship diploma of the Royal College of Organists with the Turpin and Durrant Prize, a bursary from the Countess of Munster Trust enabled study with Susan Landale in France where in 1999 he won the Premier Prix d’Exellence à l’unanimité du jury. He then undertook further studies in Germany with Thierry Mechler at the Hochschule für Musik, Köln and in England with David Sanger.
Henry Fairs is regularly invited to give guest lectures and masterclasses: in 2011/12 as a guest tutor and jury member at the Carl Nielsen International Festival and Competition, Denmark, Edinburgh Organ Academy, London Organ Day and the Royal Norwegian Academy, Oslo. Henry enjoys playing and teaching a broad, eclectic repertoire with a strong focus on historically informed practice and techniques and their relevance and application today.
- 2012: Co-Editor of proposed new publication for Bärenreiter.
- 2008: Messiaen - The Organ Works (Barber Institute of Fine Arts / University of Birmingham and essays
- 2008: The organ of La Trinité during the time of Messiaen
- 2008: The organ of the Great Hall, University of Birmingham
- Sleve notes on Duruflé's life and organ works - Naxos 8.557924
- 2007: Duruflé - Complete Organ Works (Naxos Organ Encyclopedia)
- Royal College of Organists News Vol 12, issue 3
- 2007: Pipelines interview
- Article in Organists' Review 2005: Registering German Romantic Organ Music
Recent Recordings and Broadcasts
- 2011: Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk (MDR) – broadcast Liszt recital from the Merseburger Orgeltage, Merseburg Cathedral, Germany
- 2009: Danish Radio (DR) - Live broadcast of Poulenc Organ Concerto and Duruflé, Odense Symphony Orchestra, Denmark
- 2008: Bayerischer Rundfunk – broadcast recital from the Internationale Orgelwoche, Nuremberg, Germany
- 2007: CD 'Duruflé - Complete Organ Works' (Naxos 8.557924) "Fairs emerges as a top-notch performer. His registrations, tempos, and sensitivity to subtle nuances in phrasing and articulation are superb." American Record Guide