Degree Leader, Web and New Media
- 0121 331 5633
Jon researches and publishes work on digital culture and creative industries, specifically exploring social media. This work is applied to his role as the Degree Leader for Web and New Media within our undergraduate programmes, and his teaching on the MA Social Media.
His industry experience in new media also makes him a key member of our Knowledge Transfer team.
Prior to joining the Birmingham School of Media and the Birmingham Centre for Media and Cultural research as an academic, Jon worked in the creative industries in Birmingham for eight years on new media and film production projects. Prior to this he was a student of the School of Media.
One of Jon's first tasks when he joined the Birmingham School of Media was to provide technical assistance to the AHRC Knowledge Transfer Fellowship (KTF) team, helping them to build prototypes as part of their projects. Jon has since led or developed a number of knowledge transfer projects, including several Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) projects and the Digital Champions project for Birmingham City Council.
Jon teaches across a number of programmes in the Birmingham School of Media; specialist areas taught include web and social media production techniques, innovation and enterprise, social media, visual culture, and digital culture.
Jon also leads the BA (Hons) Media and Communication (New Media) degree specialism within the School, including evaluating and developing our courses, as well as networking with industry and recruiting and managing visiting lecturers and guest speakers.
Jon is an external examiner to the PgCert Digital Media Communication at the University of Ulster and to the BA (Hons) Advertising at University College Falmouth.
- Knowledge based supervisor, various KTP projects
- Project management and KT delivery, Digital Champion
- Local Researcher, Creative Metropoles
- Reviewer for Higher Education Academy Doctoral Programme
- Programme Committee, Making Sense of Microposts, 2010-2011
- Various peer reviews of books and articles
- External expert for revalidation, Coventry University
- Chair, Sutton Coldfield Festival of Arts
- Convenor and Speaker, Digital Britain Unconference - West Midlands
- AHRC Knowledge Transfer Fellowship, Technical Developer
- Account Manager and Creative - web and graphic design industry.
Social Media and Websites