Meet or Beat Scholarship 2021
Studying in 2022? Find out more about our Meet or Beat 2022 offer.
What is Meet or Beat?
- Meet or Beat is an undergraduate scholarship worth £1,000.
- You are eligible for the £1,000 if you apply to BCU and secure results in the qualifications you are studying or already hold that either match or better (‘meet or beat’) our published entry requirements.
- The £1,000 is made up of £850 cash and £150 credit to spend in an online shop.
Am I eligible for the Meet or Beat scholarship?
- Meet or Beat applies to anyone hoping to start at BCU in 2021/22, including anyone studying a Level 3 qualification in the 2020/21 academic year for which they are due to receive results in the summer of 2021.
- You are eligible if you are already holding level 3 qualifications at the point of application from prior to the relevant academic year – e.g. if you secured A Level, BTEC, Access or IB qualifications in 2020 or earlier.
- Eligible qualifications include all Level 3 BTEC, A Level, International Baccalaureate, Access courses, UAL Diplomas, CACHE, and OCR Cambridge Technical qualifications.
- You are applying for entry to the first year (Year 1) of an Honours degree course at BCU.
How do I have a chance of getting the Meet or Beat scholarship?
- Apply to Birmingham City University by 30 June 2021.
- Receive an Unconditional or Conditional Offer on a qualifying course, and achieve level 3 grades that meet or exceed our published entry requirements.
- Accept Birmingham City University as ‘Firm’ or ‘Insurance’ on UCAS Track.
- Note that if your course requires a mandatory interview or portfolio review, you will also need to satisfy the requirements of these stages of the application process.
Who is NOT eligible for the BCU Meet or Beat scholarship scheme?
The scholarship is not applicable if you are:
- Domiciled outside of the UK.
- Applying to Foundation Year degrees (Year 0) or other sub-degree course such as a HND or Foundation Degree.
- Currently studying a Foundation Year at BCU or any other institution.
- Applying to the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, except those applying for Applied Theatre and Stage Management courses.
- Are eligible for the Meet or Beat scheme at the point of application but then do not achieve the grades required for entry to a particular course - in this instance the £150 credit will be awarded only.
How is the scholarship paid?
- The £850 will be paid into your bank account in three instalments during the first year of study*.
- The payment is subject to BCU having received your current and correct bank account details and either a tuition fee payment via Student Finance England or 50% of your tuition fees if self-funding.
- Upon enrolling at BCU for the relevant academic year, details of how you can access the £150 credit to spend in an online shop will be communicated to you.
- If you are in debt to the University for your fees, the scholarship will not be paid in cash but instead it will be credited to your student account in three instalments.
- You do not need to apply as the Admissions team will check your eligibility and successful students who fully enrol will receive a congratulations email with a link to a secure bank details form for submission to Finance in order to receive the scholarship.
When is the scholarship paid?
September 2021 intake
- 1st instalment - week commencing 20th December 2021
- 2nd instalment - week commencing 28th March 2022
- 3rd Final instalment - week commencing 23rd May 2022
January 2022 intake
- 1st instalment - week commencing 28th March 2022
- 2nd instalment - week commencing 23rd May 2022
- 3rd Final instalment - week commencing 19th December 2022
You will be contacted nearer the time if the Finance team expect there to be any delays exceptionally.