Looking after your mental health and wellbeing

Our mental health and wellbeing team, including seconded NHS staff, is here to support you throughout your time with us to ensure you achieve your full potential.

Students in study area

What can I expect?

Our services will be mainly operating online throughout the academic year, however, we understand that sometimes students will need to see someone in person and so face-to-face appointments will be offered where necessary, provided this is permitted by government guidelines in place at the time and the University’s own risk assessment.

Accessing the Mental Health and Wellbeing Service

You can access the full range of services - Wellbeing, Mental Health, Counselling and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, with members of our team located at both our City South and City Centre campuses.

Contacting us

Contact the team on 0121 331 5188 during office hours or email sa.wellbeing@bcu.ac.uk if you have any questions about our service or accessing support. We will endeavour to respond to your email within one working day.

Our Mental Health and Wellbeing iCity page is updated regularly and you can also use it to request an initial appointment with the team.

Any queries?

If you have any queries about our arrangements for the 2021/22 academic year, you can visit our FAQ page for more information or speak to your School Office.

The arrangements that we have introduced for the academic year 2021/22 are necessary in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the associated government guidance, health and safety legislation, the University’s own risk assessment and have been made in accordance with the terms and conditions of the student contract.

If you are a current student or have already accepted a place to study with us, and are unhappy with the arrangements for the 2021/22 academic year there may be options available to you such as transferring to another course, to another provider or deferring your place to study with us. Please contact Student Governance to discuss your individual circumstances further. If you remain dissatisfied, the University’s Student Complaints Procedure can be found here and you should also be aware that students are able to request that the sector ombudsman, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator, conducts an independent review of your complaint in certain circumstances (further information can be found here). In addition, you may have rights of redress under consumer protection law.