Culture Costume and Dress
Call for submissions
We welcome proposals from any discipline for paper presentations, performance pieces and contributions to the exhibition. We are also interested in proposals for panel discussions. Abstracts should be no more than 300 words.
All accepted abstracts will be published in the conference proceedings, which will carry an ISBN. Topics may include, but are not restricted to:
- Dress and material culture - the relation of dress to place, time and prevailing cultural norms
- Fashion and its cultural significance
- Dress and adornment - the significance of jewellery, shoes and accessories
- Clothing and diversity - multi-culturalism, its reflection in dress and the influence of diasporas
- Costume archiving - significance and process
- Costume in history - fashionable dress and its implications for the individual and society
- Costume and theatre, dance and film - the role of costume in contributing to understanding and insight, its ability to delineate character, and the implications of adaptation for performance, including its influence on change in performance
- Costume in literature - authors’ use of costume to highlight character and drive themes
- Costume and construction - the processes involved in cutting and making costume for performance, including aspects of materiality
Deadline for submissions: 9 December 2016
For more details on how to submit, visit the conference website.