As part of your studies, you will be expected to attend training in clinical practice, and practice placements may form up to half of your student training, depending upon the course that you are studying.
Placements are fully supported and students will be allocated a suitable placement alongside qualified tutors to ensure that you gain the most from your clinical placement experience.
During your practice placement you may be required to wear a student uniform, and you will receive this once you have enrolled onto the programme. You will need to provide us with your measurements, to ensure that your uniform is a good fit.
There will be a minimum number of clinical hours that you must work in order to complete your studies. Many students obtain employment in the placement site that they trained in, and if you gain employment elsewhere you will certainly need a reference. Always treat your practice placement as a long job interview.
Tips for a successful placement
- Make sure you are familiar with your assessment documentation, the competencies you need to achieve and what the university expects of you for each placement.
- Know your professional code of conduct.
- Contact the placement in advance to discuss the type of placement, working hours, off-duty requests, dress code, car parking, etc.
- Consider your travelling arrangements.
When on placement:
- Be friendly, enthusiastic and professional in your manner
- Meet with your assessor / supervisor as soon as possible to discuss your learning needs and the clinical staffs expectations
- Ask for help when you need it
- Be punctual and adhere to the area’s dress code, policies & procedures
- Get to know the patients / clients, staff and personnel allied to the placement area
- Take advantage of any learning opportunities internal and external to the placement area
- Find out what learning opportunities are available to you outside the placement area and take advantage of them
- Ask appropriate questions
Make sure you read our students advice for Surviving Your First Health Placement