PGCE Post-Compulsory Education and Training (PCET)
Our PGCE Post-Compulsory Education and Training (PCET) programme allows you to progress your career in the PCET sector and gives you a nationally-recognised qualification as a graduate teaching in further education, including further education colleges, adult education, work-based training and community education. Check out Chris's 'Day in the Life' film to see what it's like to be a PGCE PCET student:
How is your PGCE PCET course organised?
If your undergraduate degree subject (any subject) is taught at post-compulsory level (colleges etc.) then you are eligible to apply for our PGCE PCET. You will need to apply via one of the routes below but if you are unsure which route would cover your subject, please contact the course director (see next question). For example, Dance would fall under Arts, Media and Performance and Sociology and Psychology would come under Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Arts, Media and Performance
- English, Literacy and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mathematics and Numeracy
- Science and Technology
I'm not sure if my degree subject fits into any of your categories. What do I do?
You could have a degree in any subject to apply for this course and we will place you in one of the umbrella categories above. For example, if you have a degree in Health and Social Care you'll fit into Science and Technology, or with a degree in Construction you might fit into the Science or Mathematics categories.
If you're unsure how your degree fits into one of the categories, please contact the course director, Stuart Mitchell, who will be able to guide you.
How do I get a place on PGCE PCET?
- Look at the course information on our website so you know what the course entails and make a note of code for the subject area you're applying to. If you’re not sure which umbrella subject your undergraduate degree fits into, please see the above question!
- Apply for teacher training through UCAS Teacher Training
- If we want to take your application further we’ll invite you to interview
- We will make a final decision on your application after your interview
What funding is available?
PGCE PCET students are eligible to apply to the Student Loans Company for both a tuition fee loan and a maintenance (living costs) loan.