Professor of Telecommunication Systems and Digital Productivity
- 0121 331 2497
Mohammad Patwary received his BEng (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering in 1998 from the Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology in Bangladesh, and in 2005 a Ph.D. in Telecommunication Engineering from the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. He was with the General Electric Company in Bangladesh from 1998 to 2000 and then worked as an R&D Engineer with Southern-Poro Communications in Sydney from 2001 to 2002. He worked as a lecturer at the University of New South Wales from 2005 to 2006, and then as senior lecturer at Staffordshire University in the UK from 2006 to 2010. Mohammad was a Professor of Wireless Systems and Digital Productivity and the Chair for the Centre of Excellence on Digital Productivity with Connected Services (DiPConS) at Staffordshire University until 2016.
He now leads both the Intelligent Systems and Networks Research groups in the School of Computing and Digital Technology as a Professor of Telecommunication Networks and Digital Productivity and a Head of Research at the Centre for Cloud Computing (CCC) at Birmingham City University.
Mohammad has published more than 100 technical papers in his areas of expertise. He has been a visiting professor at Prince Mohammad bin Fahd University in Saudi Arabia and the University of Suffolk, UK. He is a Senior Member of the IEEE, a Fellow of IET and a chartered engineer of the Engineering Council UK.
Areas of Expertise
- Telecommunication networks
- Intelligent system design
- Innovative business modelling for D-Economy
BEng (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology in Bangladesh.
Ph.D. in Telecommunication Engineering from the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia.
Senior Member of IEEE,
Fellow of IET
Chartered Engineer (CEng) of Engineering Council UK
- Digital productivity with wireless connectivity
- Sensing processing for intelligent systems
- Future generation of cellular network architecture
- Future network intelligence and quality of experience (QoE) measures
- Wireless communication systems design and optimisation
- Signal processing
- Energy efficient systems
- Wireless sensor networks (heterogeneous networks and IoT)
- Naeem Muhammad Kamran 2017 – ‘Collaborative sensing and communication schemes for co-operative wireless sensor networks’.
- Raouf Abozariba 2017– ‘Radio Resource Sharing Strategy within Cognitive Radio Network for Wireless Sensing Applications’.
- Siva Bolisetti 2017 – ‘Hybrid Signal Detection Modelling for Resource Constrained wireless sensor networks’.
- Anas Amjad 2017– ‘Resource constrained adaptive models on feature detection and extraction schemes for visual sensor networks’
- Salema Fayed 2016 – ‘Compressive sensing based dynamic object detection and tracking within wireless visual sensor network for surveillance application.
- Pablo Briff ; PhD 2015- Energy Efficient & Stable Node Synchronization within Heterogeneous Wireless Network.
- Shree Krishna Sharma; PhD, 2014 - “Interweave/Underlay Cognitive Radio Techniques and Applications in Satellite Communication Systems”.
- Muntaseer Hussain PhD, 2013 – “Dynamic interactive load management for Smart Grid with distributed generation via power line communications’’.
- Sayed Junaid Nawaz; PhD, 2012 - Modelling and Characterization of Cellular Mobile Channel for 3-D Radio Propagation Environments’.
- Waleed Kamal Badawi; PhD 2011 – ‘Investigation of the Colour Constancy Using Blind Signal Separation and Physics-Based Image Modelling’.
- G Oguntala, R Abd-Alhameed, S Jones, J Noras, M Patwary, J Rodriguez, ‘Indoor location identification technologies for real-time IoT-based applications: An inclusive survey’, Computer Science Review 30, pp. 55-79, Nov. 2018.
- Raouf Abozariba, Md Asaduzzaman and Mohammad Patwary, “Dynamic Spectrum Allocation in Cellular Networks under Targeted Performance and Budget Restriction”, IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communication, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 1589 -1603, Mar. 2018.
- Salema Fayed, Sherin Youssef, Amr El-Helw, Mohammad Patwary and Mansour Moniri “Analytical framework for Adaptive Compressive Sensing for Target Detection within Wireless Visual Sensor Networks”, Springer Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications, 2017. (in Press)
- S. M. Gulfam, S. J. Nawaz, A. Ahmed, M. N. Patwary, “Angle and Time of Arrival Characteristics of 3D Air-to-Ground Radio Propagation Environments”, Elsevier Journal of Computer Communications, 2017. (In-press)
- S. K. Bolisetti, M. Patwary, A. H. Soliman and M. Abdel-Maguid, “RF Sensing Based Target Detector for Smart Sensing Within Internet of Things in Harsh Sensing Environments,” in IEEE Access, vol. 5, pp. 13346-13363, 2017.
- M. K. Naeem, M. Patwary and M. Abdel-Maguid, “Universal and Dynamic Clustering Scheme for Energy Constrained Cooperative Wireless Sensor Networks,” in IEEE Access, vol. 5, pp. 12318-12337, 2017.
- Raouf Abozariba, Md Asaduzzaman and Mohammad Patwary, “Radio Resource Sharing Framework for Cooperative Multioperator Networks With Dynamic Overflow Modeling,” in IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 2433-2447, March 2017.
- Sardar Muhammad Gulfam, Syed Junaid Nawaz, Abrar Ahmed, Mohammad N. Patwary, and Qiang Ni, “A Novel 3D Analytical Scattering Model for Air-to-Ground Fading Channels” Journal on Applied Sciences - MDPI 2016.Appl. Sci. August 2016, pp- 1-21.
- Babar Mansoor, Junaid Nawaz Syed, Bilal Amin, Shree Krishna Sharma, Mohammad Patwary, “Compressed Sensing of Sparse Multipath MIMO Channels with Superimposed Training Sequence”, Springer Journal on Wireless Personal Communications, October 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s11277-016-3778-7.
- A. Amjad, M. Patwary A. Griffiths and Abdel-Hamid Soliman, “Characterisation of Field-of-View for Energy Efficient Application-Aware Visual Sensor Networks,” IEEE Sensors Journal, January 2016, Year: 2016, vol. 16, pp. 3109 – 3122.
- Shree Krishna Sharma, Mohammad Patwary, Symeon Chatzinotas, “Multiple Access Techniques for Next Generation Wireless: Recent Advances and Future Perspectives,” Research Article in EAI Endorsed Transactions on Wireless Spectrum, vol. 2, Jan 2016. pp. 1-12.
- A. Amjad, A. Griffiths and M. Patwary, “QoI-Aware Unified Framework for Node Classification and Self-Reconfiguration Within Heterogeneous Visual Sensor Networks,” in IEEE Access, vol. 4, pp. 9027-9042, Dec 2016.
- M Patwary, S. K. Sharma, M. A. Maguid, R. A. Alhameed, J. Noras, Symeon Chatzinotas, Bj¨orn Ottersten, Y. Chen, “ Universal Intelligent Small Cell for Future Wireless networks” Elsevier Journal on Digital Communication and Networks, Special Issue 5G Wireless Networks, vol. 2, Nov 2016, pp. 167-174.
- Salema Fayed, Sherin Youssef, Amr El-Helw, Mohammad Patwary and Mansour Moniri "Adaptive Compressive Sensing for Target Tracking within Wireless Visual Sensor Networks-based Surveillance applications", International Journal on Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 75, pp 6347–6371, June 2016.
- S. J. Nawaz, M. I. Tiwana, M. N. Patwary, Noor M. Khan, M. I. Tiwana, and A. Haseeb, "GA Based Sensing of Sparse Multipath Channels with Superimposed Training Sequence.", Journal Electronics and Electrical Engineering (Elektronika ir Elektrotechnika), February 2016, pp. 87 – 91.
- Raouf Abozariba, Mohammad Patwary, Abdel-Hamid Soliman and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid “On the Location Aware Co-Operative Spectrum Sensing in Urban Environment”, Jordanian Journal of Computers and Information Technology, vol. 2, February 2016, pp. 119-136.
- P. Briff, M. Patwary, F. Vargas, L. Rey Vega, A. Lutenberg, “A Generalized Trade-off Model for Energy-Efficient WSN Synchronization” IET Electronic letters , vol. 51, Issue 3, February 2015, pp 291 – 292.
- Siva Bolisetti, M. N. Patwary, Abdel-Hamid Soliman and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid ‘Subspace Compressive GLRT Detector MIMO Radar in the presence of Clutters, The Scientific World Journal (Special Issue in "Compressed Sensing: Applications in Radar and Communications") September 2015 pp. 1-8.
- Salema Fayed, Sherin Youssef, Amr El-Helw, Mohammad Patwary and Mansour Moniri, "A Hybrid Adaptive Compressive Sensing Model for Visual Tracking in Wireless Visual Sensor Networks", International Journal of Circuits, Systems, and Signal Processing, Volume 8, Dec. 2014, pp. 399-409.
- Shree K. Sharma, Mohammad Patwary and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, "Enhanced Information Throughput in MIMO-OFDM based systems using Fractional Sampling and Iterative Signal Processing", European Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, Volume 25, Issue 12, pages 1208–1218, December 2014.
- M. K. Naeem, M. N. Patwary, Abdel-Hamid Soliman and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “Cooperative Transmission Schemes for Energy Efficient Collaborative Wireless Sensor Networks”, IET Science, Measurement and Technology, IET Science, Measurement & Technology, Volume 8, Issue 6, , pp. 391 – 398, November 2014.
- Sireesha Appana, Mohammad N Patwary, Abdel-Hamid Soliman and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “Diversity Block Code: A Trade-off for Multiplexing and Diversity Gains”, Journal of Applied Sciences, pp, 1812-5654, July 2014.
- Briff, Pablo; Patwary, Mohammad; Vargas, Fabian; Rey Vega, Leonardo; Lutenberg, Ariel, ‘A Primer on Energy-Efficient Synchronization of WSN Nodes over Correlated Rayleigh Fading Channels’ IEEE Wireless communication Letter, vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 38-41, Feb. 2014.
- M. K. Naeem, M. N. Patwary, Abdel-Hamid Soliman and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “Tighter Receiver Performance Lower Bound for MIMO Wireless Communication Systems”, Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol: 14 Issue: 1 pp. 95-100, January 2014.
- Abrar Ahmed, Syed Junaid Nawaz, Sardar Muhammad Gulfam, Shurjeel Wyne, Mohammad N. Patwary, and Haris Pervaiz, ‘Angular Spread Quantification of Multi-Antenna Vehicular Radio Communication Channels’, in the proc of IEEE Global Communications (Globecom) Conference 2018, pp. 1-7.
- R Abozariba, M Asaduzzaman, M Patwary, ‘Optimal Auctions in Oligopoly Spectrum Market with Concealed Cost’, In the proc of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (Fall) 2018, pp 1-6.
- R. Abozariba, A. Amjad, and M. Patwary, “Optimized Resource Sharing for Federated Cloud Services with Desired Performance and Limited OpEx,” 2017 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), Singapore, 2017, pp. 1-7. (Accepted)
- A. Amjad, M. Sharma, R. Abozariba, M. Asaduzzaman, M. Patwary and E. Benkhelifa, “Autonomous Workload Balancing in Cloud Federation Environments with Different Access Restrictions,” 2017 IEEE 14th International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS), Orlando, 2017, pp. 1-6. (Accepted).
- S. Bolisetti, M. Sharma, A. Soliman, A. Maguid, E. Benkhelifa and M. Patwary, “Energy Efficient Target Detection Through Waveform Selection for Multi-Sensor RF Sensing Based Internet of Things”, 2017 10th IFIP Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference (WMNC), Valencia, 2017 (Accepted).
- M. Patwary, M. Asaduzzaman and R. Abozariba, “Multi-Operator Spectrum Sharing Models under Different Cooperation Schemes for Next Generation Cellular Networks”, IEEE 86th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2017-Fall). (Accepted).
- Amjad, F. Rabby, S. Sadia, M. Patwary and E. Benkhelifa, “Cognitive Edge Computing based resource allocation framework for Internet of Things,” in the Proceedings of 2017 Second International Conference on Fog and Mobile Edge Computing (FMEC), Valencia, 2017, pp. 194-200.
- A. A. Elsabaa, M. Patwary, E. Benkhelifa, A. Zaki and S. E. El-Khamy, “On consumable energy allocation frame-work with SWIPT for remotely located wireless node within Internet of Things,” in the Proceedings of 2017 Second International Conference on Fog and Mobile Edge Computing (FMEC), Valencia, 2017, pp. 201-206.
- Babar Mansoor, Junaid Nawaz Syed, Bilal Amin, Shree Krishna Sharma, Mohammad Patwary, “Superimposed Training based Estimation of Sparse MIMO Channels for Emerging Wireless Networks”, in proc. of 23rd International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT 2016) May 2016, Greece; pp. 1.5, DOI 10.1109/ICT.2016.7500477.
- P. Briff, M. Patwary, F. Vargas, L. Rey Vega, A. Lutenberg, “A Generalized Lyapunov stable Energy-Efficient node Synchronization within Heterogeneous WSN” in Proceedings of the 2017 Eight Argentine Symposium and Conference on Embedded Systems (CASE), 2017.
- A. Amjad, M. Patwary and A. Griffiths, "Energy Efficient Self-Reconfiguration Scheme for Visual Information based M2M Communication," in the Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), Sydney, 2017.
- M. K. Naeem, M. Patwary and M. Abdel-Maguid, “On Lifetime Maximisation of Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks with Multi-Layer Realisation,” in the Proceedings of 2017 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), San Francisco, CA, 2017, pp. 1-6.
- M. Asaduzzaman, R. Abozariba and M. Patwary, ''Spectrum Sharing Optimization in Cellular Networks under Target Performance and Budget Restriction,” in the Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), Sydney, 2017.
- S. J. Nawaz, B. Mansoor, S. K. Sharma, S. M. Gulfam, and M. N. Patwary, “Location-aware and Superimposed-Pilot based Channel Estimation of Sparse HAP Radio Communication Channels” in the Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), Sydney, 2017.
- A. Ahmed, S. M. Gulfam, S. J. Nawaz and M. N. Patwary, “Doppler spectrum and second order fading statistics of emerging 3-D radio cellular propagation channels,” in the Proceedings of 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), Paris, 2017, pp. 3157-3161.
- Abrar Ahmed , Sardar Muhammad Gulfam, Syed Junaid Nawaz, Mohammad N. Patwary ‘Analysis on Multipath Shape Factors of Air-to-Ground Radio Communication Channels’, in proc. of IEEE Wireless Telecommunication Symposium 2016, London, UK; pp.1- 5, DOI:DOI: 10.1109/WTS.2016.7482050 .
- Raouf Abozariba, Mohammad Patwary, Abdel-Hamid Soliman and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid “Location-aware cooperative spectrum sensing within cognitive radio networks”, IEEE Jordan Conference on Applied Electrical Engineering and Computing Technologies (AEECT), 2015, pp. 1-7.
- Abrar Ahmed, Syed Junaid Nawaz, Noor M. Khan, Mohammad N. Patwary, and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, ‘Angular Characteristics of a Unified 3-D Scattering Model for Emerging Cellular Networks’ , in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2015, pp. 2450 - 2456 .
- Sardar Muhammad Gulfam, Syed Junaid Nawaz, Mohammad N. Patwary, and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid,‘On the Spatial Characterization of 3-D Air-to-Ground Radio Communication Channels’, in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2015, pp. 2924 – 2930.
- Shree Krishna Sharma, Mohammad Patwary, Symeon Chatzinotas, Bj¨orn Ottersten, Mohamed Abdel-Maguid ‘Repeater for 5G Wireless: A Complementary Contender for Spectrum Sensing Intelligence’ in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2015, pp. 1416-1421.
- S.Fayed, S.Youssef, A.El-Helw, M.Patwary and M.Moniri, "Compressive Sensing-based Target Tracking for Wireless Visual Sensor Networks", Advances in Information Science and Applications, 18th international conference on Circuits, Systems, Communications and Computers (CSCC 2014), Vol. 1, Santorini, Greece, July, 2014, pp. 44-50.
- S.Fayed, S.Youssef, A.EL-Helw, A.S.Akbari, M.Patwary and M.Moniri, "Comparative Analysis on the Competitiveness of Conventional and Compressive Sensing-based Query Processing", Advances in Information Science and Applications, 18th international conference on Circuits, Systems, Communications and Computers (CSCC 2014), Vol. 1, Santorini, Greece, July, 2014, pp. 240-245.