Big Data Corridor
About the project
Big Data Corridor is providing free support to SMEs in the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (GBSLEP) to make the most of data-driven innovation.
What's on offer?
- 12 hours support worth £2,000 which could include:
- 1:1 support from commercial and technical experts.
- Interactive workshops on cybersecurity, empower your business through open data, APIs, data mining and more
- Seminars including GDPR and compliance, how to write successful bids and more
- Technical expertise and business advice to accelerate product development and/or business plans, collaboration and long term assistance worth £40,000, which could include:
- Reviewing your business data needs and access to tools, resources and data to accelerate business growth.
- Intensive assistance to develop new innovative products and services including product development and business planning.
- Trialling and implementation of new technologies and commercialisation opportunities.
- Developing innovative solutions to address challenges in key sectors of mobility, health and education.
- Accessing a platform designed to enable remote research experimentation with data leading to the development of new products and services.
- Taking part in the development of smart city demonstrators for the area on city strategic themes.
This project is co-funded by the European Union under the European Regional Development Fund. Project No 12R16P00220.
Staff working on this project
- Abdel-Rahman Tawil, Principal Investigator, Senior Lecturer in Software Engineering
- Paul Kearney, Professor in Cybersecurity
- Dr Hossein Nevisi, Research Fellow in Security Engineering
- Xavier Schmoor, Research Assistant in Open Data Engineering
- Christelle Harrison, Project Manager
- Birmingham City Council (Lead Partner)
- Birmingham City University
- Aston University
- Transport for West Midlands (TfWM)
- Innovation Birmingham
The Big Data Corridor is a £2.2m EU (ESIF) funded project, running from October 2016 to September 2019.
- Ghahremanlou, Lida,Tawil, Abdel-Rahman, Kearney, Paul, Zhao, Xia, Nevisi, Hossein, Abdallah, Ali (2018) A survey of Open Data Platforms in Six UK Smart City Initiative, The Computer Journal (submitted for publication)