Institute for Sustainable Futures
Access interdisciplinary specialist knowledge and deliver collaborative innovation with our academic experts.
The Institute for Sustainable Futures (iSF) connects businesses and organisations with Birmingham City University’s academic experts and specialists to help them drive unique practise-based research, new knowledge and innovative solutions to their real-world business or societal challenges.
If you’re a business or organisation within the private, public or third sectors based locally, nationally or internationally and have challenges or research and development opportunities that fit within our areas of expertise, we invite you to get in touch so we can discuss a potential collaboration.
An iSF collaboration could help you develop in the following areas:
- Advanced manufacturing
- Big Data and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Digital Health
- Digital Productivity
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Smart Cities including Cyber Security
How does it work?
Based on your requirements iSF will build you’re project team from Birmingham City University academic experts and specialist that have the knowledge and expertise needed to achieve your desired outcomes. This interdisciplinary collaboration could introduce you to new ways of thinking and areas of expertise that you may not have traditionally considered for your R&D activities. It’s this collaborative way of working and interdisciplinary thinking that will make a real difference to the new knowledge and innovation we will deliver from our unique expert partnership
Examples of current iSF academic and industry collaborations
- Working with metal supplier Meridian to produce lightweight magnesium that reduces automotive carbon emissions.
- Collaborating with Westfield Sportscars to bring state-of-the-art driverless cars to the West Midlands.
Big Data Corridor
- Working with SMEs to understand ways and benefits from using data from the IoT.
- Producing a secure platform where data providers can mix closed data sets to get detailed insights into business trends.
Drones in Urban Environments
- Working with West Midlands Combined Authority to test how drones (UAVs - unmanned aerial vehicles) can be used in a densely populated and built up city environment. You can find out more here.
Would you like to collaborate with iSF?
If you would like to know more about or discuss a potential iSF collaboration with Birmingham City University academic experts and specialists, please send us an enquiry selecting 'Institute for Sustainable Futures'. We will get in touch to see how we can help.