Institute for Health and Quality of Life
Collaborate with our University experts and specialists
Create interdisciplinary health and quality of life solutions
The Institute for Health and Quality of Life (iHQL) is one of our three Innovation Institutes at Birmingham City University.
iHQL can help businesses, public sector and third sector organisations drive innovative projects and business solutions from a local to a global scale, addressing health, wellbeing and quality of life opportunities. These include (but are not limited to):
- Healthy ageing
- Mental and physical health
- Health management
- Well-being through tech
- Social well-being
- Technology and science-enabled health
- Citizen-centred design
Innovate with interdisciplinary academic and industry collaborations
iHQL will help you access research and innovation through interdisciplinary collaborations with our Birmingham City University academics. This could comprise health-related knowledge combined with science, technology, design and the arts. The academics invited to join your iHQL collaboration will be selected based on the specialist knowledge needed to drive the success of your project or initiative.
Examples of current iHQL academic and industry collaborations
- Healthy and active ageing – we are developing ways to enable older people to maintain their independence, preventing or delaying the onset of illness in advanced years and encouraging people of all ages to invest in their health and wellbeing through healthy lifestyles.
- Parity of esteem: mental and physical health – we are working to ensure both mental and physical health are given equal status when it comes to health and quality of life opportunities, solutions and spaces.
- Self-Management in the Community – we are developing ways to help individuals and communities to understand and manage their dignity, independence and wellbeing to maximise good health, and to help ease pressure and dependency on health and social care services.
- Built environments – we are enabling the design of healthy and sustainable built environments and public realm.
- Technology – we are creating technological innovations around big data and the Internet of Things.
- Lifestyle – we are designing positive changes that affect our communities and workforces.
- Interactions – we are actively promoting social inclusion and civic change.
- Technology and science-enabled health – we are creating highly-usable and, where appropriate, interoperable technological solutions that enhance the human capacity to live better. We catalyse person-centered science solutions through key areas of expertise including life sciences, nutrition, sports and exercise, and biomechanical engineering.
- Business systems, processes and dynamics – we are identifying innovations and bottlenecks in business and financial models, systems and relationships that influence healthcare administration and provision for wellbeing.
- Design-led co-creation – we are designing spaces, co-creating with communities and creating social and digital innovations, designing relevant, usable and sustainable solutions with end-users.
Want to collaborate with iHQL?
Please send us an enquiry selecting 'Institute for Health and Quality of Life'. We will then get in touch to see how an iHQL collaboration can help you achieve your goals.