DT.UNI. Design Thinking Workshop for PhD/MPhil Students
What is it?
DT. UNI. will explore and develop design-led thinking approaches which support innovation in higher education institutions by using a bottom-up approach, i.e. supporting students, researchers, academics and management staff in developing their ability to think in a more divergent, creative and design thinking way.
INTERNATIONAL DESIGN THINKING WORKSHOP FOR PHD/MPHIL STUDENTS:
MONDAY 27 JANUARY 2020
We are inviting PhD/MPhil students from Birmingham City University (BCU) and other Higher Education (HE) organisations to participate in a one day Design Thinking workshop. Design Thinking (DT) is a set of tools and techniques that help to solve complex problems through team working.
Specifically designed for PhD/MPhil students, the workshop will explore a user-centric perspective of what makes an effective supervision process and environment, including questions such as:
- What does effective supervision look like?
- How can the (interdisciplinary) learning environment be ‘optimised’ for postgraduate-level personal and academic development?
- How can supervisor and supervisee expectations, goals and ways of working be aligned?
Through following a typical process, you will learn about DT tools and processes. You will explore a challenge (based on the three questions listed above) and prototype solutions. You will be encouraged to think in different ways, through contemplating challenges in a more divergent and creative way. As a result, you will be able to apply DT techniques into your practice, learning and work. The workshop also provides an opportunity to network with like-minded people.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Participants should be a PhD or MPhil student within a higher education institution
- Participants should be able to attend the full day workshop
- Participants should be willing to proactively share the learning from the workshop within their student learning groups afterwards
Venue: Birmingham City University/ STEAMhouse, 108 Digbeth, Birmingham, B5 6DT
Dates: Monday 27 January 2020
Times: 9.00am – 4.30pm
HOW TO APPLY: To apply please complete the following form by Tuesday 12 December and submit to: Charmaine.email@example.com