Head of School
- 0121 331 7887
Professor Kevin Singh has been Head of School of the Birmingham School of Architecture and Design since April 2011. With 800+ students and 50 members of staff across 6 undergraduate and 9 postgraduate programmes, plus 7 internationally franchised courses in Hong Kong, China, and India with some 300+ students, the School covers the disciplines of Architecture, Landscape, Interior Design, Product Design, Design Management, and Design and Visualisation. He was awarded a National Teaching Fellowship in May 2015.
In 2000 Kevin co-founded the space studio, an RIBA Chartered design-led practice, with Interior Designer Tony Kerby. The practice undertakes new build, refurbishment and interior works across a number of sectors including private housing, social housing and extra care, higher education, workplace, retail, leisure, and the arts. Clients include HMRC, Tesla Cars, Birmingham City University, Hyundai, and Manchester City Football Club. Current commissions include the interior for the new English National Ballet at London City Island, the Goodman’s Lease Building for Birmingham City University, and a number of contemporary private developer housing schemes in the Jewellery Quarter.
In a teaching career spanning 20 years, Kevin has taught on undergraduate and postgraduate courses across both Architecture and Interior Design, and has also been a course leader for both BA Interior Design and M.Arch Architecture.
Kevin's Professorship was conferred under the categories of Learning and Teaching and Academic Leadership, having introduced a number of initiatives predominantly relating to links with industry, and for a proven track record of transforming the success of courses that he has led.
Kevin was previously a member of the Executive Committee of the Commonwealth Association of Architects, a Trustee of St Martin’s Arts, an External Examiner at the University of Nottingham, and an RIBA Regional Awards judge.
- Founding Director of the space* studio – architects & designers (2000-present)
- RIBA Council (national)
- RIBA Education Committee (national)
- RIBA Office Based Examination approved tutor
- Chair of RIBA Visiting Boards (validation panels)
- External Examiner and Award Board Chair for BA Architecture course at London South Bank University
- Board of Trustees, Dance XChange
- Chair, DanceXChange Future Space Group
- Midlands Architecture and Designed Environment (MADE) design review panel
- SCHOSA (Standing Conference of Heads of Schools of Architecture)
Areas of Expertise
- Architectural Design
- Interior Architecture
- Architectural Business
- Enterprise projects
- BA (Hons) Architecture
- PG Diploma in Architecture
- MA Architecture (Design and Theory)
- PG Cert in Education
- Programme Director, M.Arch Architecture (RIBA Part 2) (2003-2011)
- External Examiner at University of Nottingham for Part 2 course (2009-2014)
- Director Of Studies for BA (Hons) Interior Design (1997-2003)
- Visiting Tutor BA (Hons) Architecture (1995-2001)
- University of Sheffield School of Architecture, 2011 (BA)
- Oxford Brookes University School of Architecture, 2011 (PG Diploma)
- Ion Mincu, Bucharest, Romania, January and June 2009.
- National University Of Singapore, 2003.
- La Salle College of Arts, Singapore, 2003.
- La Salle College of Arts, Singapore, 2002.
- Greenwich University School Of Architecture, 1999.
- Oxford Brookes University School Of Architecture, 1997.
- Wisconsin School Of Architecture, Milwaukee, USA, 1996.
- Lead for Knowledge Hub urban design / public realm masterplan for City Centre campus
- Feasibility design work for Steamhouse incubation spaces projectTyphoo Wharf, Digbeth which received £14m in 2016 Government Budget.
- The Four R’s (Retrofit, Refurb, Reuse and Reduce) at SCALA conference May 2012
- Speaker at “Interiors and Lifestyle Futures” October 2010
- “Architectural Speculations” paper at Building Futures Conference, University of Birmingham. June 2009.
- “Design is a verb and not just a noun” lecture at Ion Mincu School of Architecture, Bucharest, Romania. January 2009.
- Practice Lecture for Tounge & Groove Student Society Whole School Lecture Programme, University Of Nottingham. May 2006.
- “An Evening With Kevin Singh”. Guest Speaker At Bdi (Birmingham Design Industries) Annual Dinner Re Design Of Arts Café, St Martin In The Bullring.
- Practice Lecture to UCE School of Interior Design 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011.
- “Manipulating Reality” paper delivered at the 18th Design History Society Conference at Middlesex University in December 1996.
- “Seduced & Abandoned by The Nasty Media Machine” delivered at Birmingham’s Ikon Gallery as part of the “Architecture: A Critical Inquiry” debate in March 1995.
- Ran A Workshop At “Winterschool 96” in Leeds, “Penetrating Environments”, Investigating The Electronic Surveillance Of The City.
- Co-Ran A Workshop At “Winterschool 95” In Birmingham, “The Iron Man” Investigating The Relationship Of The Body And Technology.
- “A Day In The Life” Installation At Number Nine (Buttermarket) The Gallery To Launch “Place” Supplement To Bootique Magazine. June 2001
- Birmingham School of Architecture “Sphere of Influence”.
- Exhibited as part of Birmingham City University “Design City” exhibition stand during Interiors Show, NEC 2008.
- Exhibited as part of UCE “Design City” exhibition stand during Interiors Show, NEC 2007.
- RIBA “Diversity” Exhibition. Global Travelling Exhibition Highlighting Ethnic Diversity In Architecture, 2006.
- “Should Architecture Schools Produce Oven-Ready Architects?” Architects Journal, 25th July 2013.
- Adam Wardle Obituary, RIBA Journal September 2013.
- “In the Thick of It”, interview with RIBA Journal, February 2013.
- “Prefab pods provide all mod-cons for gypsies” Business and property review, traveller site redevelopment ‘Birmingham Post’ Thursday, January 19 – Wednesday January 25 2012
- Published comments in “Obituary: John Madin 1924-2012”, Architects Journal 11th January 2012
- “Trio come together for health sector venture” company partnership, ‘Birmingham Post’ Thursday, October 6 and Wednesday, October 12, 2011.
- “Thriving in style while others seem to struggle” Business and property review, architecture ‘Birmingham Post’ February 2011, pg 16.
- “Trends” About trends architecture. ‘Birmingham City University’ pg11.
- “My Favourite Building" – Lloyds. 9 February 2011.
- “The Space Studio goes for gold in London” Midland Business News , 19 April 2011.
- “Q&A with Kevin Singh – the new head of Birmingham’s School of Architecture”. Architects’ Journal, 1 April 2011 (online edition)
- “Singh made BIAD head”. Architects’ Journal, 31 March 2011
- “New architecture school head for Birmingham City University”. Building Design online, 4 April 2011
- “Appointments”, Times Higher Education, 14 April 2011
- “A conduit between practice and education”, Trove exhibition catalogue, June 2011.
- Published comments in “Architecture schools slam ranking errors” Architects’ Journal, 17 June 2011
- Published comments in “Reaction to Hadid’s Stirling Prize win: There was a collective groan”, Architects Journal, 2 October 2011
- “When intelligent design makes sense” feature: penciling in the needs of affordability, ‘Southern Housing’ Issue 125, Jan/Feb 2010, pg 28.
- “Anniversary of design studio launched in ex-bakery”, 24 September 2010.
- “Space to improve affordable housing” spotlight: the space studio. ‘Midland Housing’. Issue 124, November/December 09, pg 12.
- "Wellington Road, Handsworth, Birmingham, Social Housing “ public buildings ‘Architecture and Building – A review of UK Architects and their buildings’ pg 129.
- “The Hub, Fort Dunlop” commercial ‘Architecture and Building – A review of UK Architects and their buildings’ pg 183.
- “Birmingham: The Self-Conscious City?” Welcome to area, ‘Magazine for RIBA West Midlands’ Winter 2009 Edition pg 2.
- “Another Future” Kevin Singh ‘Architectura Review’, Romania.
- “Well kept secret”, Wentworth Road, ’25 Beautiful Homes’ August 2008
- “Building to be an icon for Daventry”, iHub competition finalists, ‘Daventry Express’ May 1 2008.
- “Grand designs unveiled for iHub’, Five designs shortlisted, ‘Daventry District Council’ 2008.
- “Education – The Department of Visual Communication, Birmingham Institute of Art & Design” Architecture and Building – A review of UK Architects and their buildings, ’APP’ 2008.
- “Hotels/Restaurants/Public Houses – Vinappris Sky TV Channel and Wine Bar” Architecture and Building – A review of UK Architects and their buildings, ‘APP’ 2008.
- “Design City Designers” Kevin Singh, ‘Interiors Birmingham, show preview magazine’ 20-23 Jan 08.
- “Design City Designers” Kevin Singh ‘Interiors Birmingham, Show Preview Magazine, 20-23 January 2008.
- “Designs for life” Kevin Singh, ‘City Living, The Birmingham Post supplement”, January 10 2008
- “The Space Studio Party”, ‘City Living, The Birmingham Post supplement’ 5 June 2008
- “To boldly build….” iHub competition, ‘Northampton Chronicle & Echo’, 2008.
- “Shortlist designs announced for Daventry’s iHub building”. Over 70 entries received, ‘Hero news’ 2008.
- “Shortlist designs announced for Daventry’s iHub building’, ‘The University of Northampton’ 19th May 2008.
- “Five make Daventry hub shortlist” Builder and Engineer online. 7th May 2008.
- “Places & Genius Interior Design” Vinappris Wine Bar and TV Studio, ‘BDI, Industry & Genius Awards’ 2007
- “Education – The Birmingham School of Architecture: Birmingham” Architecture and Building – A review of UK Architects and their buildings, ‘APP’ pg 119 2007.
- “The Commodity of Design” Kevin Singh ‘The University of Nottingham – Design Year Book 2007.’ Exhibit 07
- "Arts Café, St Martin in the Bullring" project review, RIBA Yearbook 2005.
- "Aston & Fincher Design Challenge" the space studio entry, 'Real Salons' 2005 (2).
- “The new Birmingham School of Architecture”, A talk through the design – Kevin Singh, ‘Area- RIBA Journal’ Issue 13, Winter 2005.
- "The new Birmingham School of Architecture", design feature, 'Area - RIBA Journal' winter 2005.
- 'The Space Studio", practice profile, in Business Midlands October/November 2005
- "New Home for St Basils Link", 'St Basils' Newsletter Summer 2004.
- "St Martin's Arts Café", review, 'City Living' June 2004.
- "Take a pew and sing its praises!" review of Arts café, St Martin in the Bullring, 'Evening Mail' February 14 2004.
- “Are you dreaming of your perfect salon?” Professional advice for salon design, ‘Creative Head Magazine Supplement’, Autumn/Winter 2004.
- "Expert view- Are you dreaming of your perfect salon?" Professional advice for salon design, 'space supplement in Creative Head Magazine' no.5 Autumn/Winter 2004.
- 'The Space Studio", practice profile, in Business Midlands January/February 2004.
- "Local Architects support School of Architecture & Landscape", 'Area - RIBA Journal' Autumn 2003.
- "Opening Celebration", photo feature celebrating the new Arts Café, at St Martin's Church in the Bull Ring,"The Birmingham Post", September 16th 2003.
- "Arts café raises profile with Armadillo", increasing profile of the space studio, 'The Birmingham Post', September 8th 2003.
- "News from the Birmingham School of Architecture and Landscape", Welcoming Kevin Singh as Course Director, 'Area Summer 2003.
- "The Space Studio has designs on St Martin's Arts Café", 'Midlands homes and interiors' October/November 2003 "Salons", Mulberry's Hair and Beauty article, 'space supplement of Creative Head Magazine' Autumn/Winter 2002.
- "A more social salon", article on Simon Paul Solihull salon, 'The Solihull Times' September 2002.
- "Reach for the spas", Obsession at the Mailbox article, 'City Living' September 2002.
- "Bachelor Fad", review of Apartment 57, the Mailbox project, 'City Living' July 2002.
- "Brum's brill bachelor boys", review of the space* studio residential projects, 'Property News' June 2002.
- "Mad about Obsession", review of Obsession, the Mailbox, Birmingham Lifestyle Magazine April 2002. Article by Ruth Graham.
- "Modernism as a Style in domestic Settings" article to be published in "RIBA West Midlands Yearbook 2002" featuring numerous projects by the space studio.
- Narrative endorsement of Tarkett Sommer flooring products for trade literature. January 2002.
- "Creative Head" magazine February 2002, review of the space* studio hair salons at Harrods and Obsession, the mailbox 'Designs on the future', the space studio as design trendsetters, 'Distinctive Homes across the Midlands' Autumn/Winter 2001.
- "Distinctive Homes" magazine November 2001 feature of the space studio projects.
- "New Kids on the Block" review of Birmingham Institute of Art & Design degree shows, "Bootique" August/September 2001.
- "No Place to Hide", issues of voyeurism in society and architecture, "Bootique" magazine July/August 2001
- "Design's for Life" commentary of contemporary design, "Bootique" magazine June/July 2001.
- "Space...the final frontier" introduction to the work of the space studio, "Bootique" magazine March/April 2001.
- "Synergy" review of independent bar in Nottingham, "Interior Design" magazine July/August 2001.
- "Take 24 Hours", installation for Place photo feature in Birmingham Post "Post Style" section 11th July 2001.
- "Hot Tapas", article on Ikon Gallery Restaurant, 'Interiors for Architects & Designers' February/March 2000.
- "Passionate Design - Simple Style" article in "Interior Design + Construction" (Chinese magazine) edition 3 2000 featuring Penthouse 6 and Café Ikon.
- Carlton TV "Our House" 31/12/99 in depth interview featuring apartment 5, Edgbaston.
- "Spin-the hype starts here" Sunday Express magazine 18/4/99 Café Ikon featured.
- "From Four Walls to Wolf's Lair" Birmingham Post 6/4/99 review of Penthouse 6 project.
- BBC TV "Real Rooms" 4/2/99 feature on Penthouse 6, Ludgate Lofts.
- "What's On" February 6th-19th 1999 Review of Café Ikon
- Real Room series 5 magazine, BBC Broadcasting Support series Penthouse Loft Apartment featured.
- Review of DeMontford School of Architecture degree show (with Andrew Harbert) "Building Design" August 1999
- "Schools Outing" review of The Birmingham School of Architecture- 'Building Design' January 31st 1997.
- "Anarchy on the Streets" Book review of "Decq and Cornette" monograph by Claire Melluish - Building Design 1/11/96.
- "Reviewing the Slow House" Review of Diller + Scofidio exhibition at Birmingham's Ikon Gallery (with Ed Frith) - "Integrating Architecture" AD Magazine - October 1996.
- "In Search of Reality" Commentary on issues of hyperreality - Building Design 23 August 1996.
Television and Radio
- BBC TV "Real Rooms" 4 February 1999 feature on Penthouse 6, Ludgate Lofts.
- Carlton TV "Our House" 31 December 1999. In depth interview featuring Apartment 5, Edgbaston.
- Carlton TV “Eastern Mix” June 2001, feature of UCE School of Interior Design degree show and external exhibition at CUBE, Manchester (not aired).
- Radio interview for Saga FM regarding 30 years of the Pompidou Centre, November 2007
- Radio interview for Free Radio regarding Knowledge Hub proposals, March 2016
Work With Industry
Principal design projects
- Interior design for new English National Ballet, London City Island
- University House, interior fit out of 5 floors for Birmingham City University professional services, including Vice Chancellors Office, Marketing, and International Office.
- Birmingham City University Goodman’s Lease Building interior design
- Various concept designs for Manchester City Football Club.
- Various contemporary housing schemes in Birmingham’s historic Jewellery Quarter (new build and refurbishment)
- Contemporary Social Housing, Bishops Cleeve, Cheltenham (23 new build houses)
- Blackthorn Mews Private Housing Development, Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham o Social Housing Scheme, Wellington Road, Birmingham
- “Vinappris” TV Studio And Wine Bar, Fort Dunlop 2007
- Orange Call Centre, Fort Dunlop 2007
- Rawmarsh Media Centre, Rotherham 2007
- Sampson Road, conversion of grade 2* listed building to social housing apartments 2007
- Visual Communication Department, UCE 2006
- Birmingham School Of Architecture Refurbishment 2005
- Arts Café, St Martin in the Bullring 2003
- Obsession hair & day spa, The Mailbox, Birmingham 2001
- Café Ikon, Ikon Gallery, Brindleyplace 1998
Principal competition entries
- RIBA “Ihub” Open International Design Competition. BREEAM Excellent Conference, Exhibition And Innovation Centre For The University Of Northampton And Building Research Establishment. Runner Up From 71 Entries. 2008.
- Invited Design Competition For Family Housing Association For Housing Scheme In Birmingham. Winner. 2008.
- RIBA “Renaissance Pavilion” For Yorkshire Forward. Entry With Buro Happold Structural Engineers For A Flexible, Travelling Exhibition Space. 2008
- Invited / Limited Competition For Reserve Bank Of India Rebranding And Refurbishment Concept With Atelier (Bangalore), And The Holman Group. 2008
- “White House Re-Dux” International Design Competition for conceptual redesign of The White House, Washington DC. 2008
- Invited / Limited Design Competition for Rooftop Housing Association for housing schemes on disused garage sites 2009
- Urban Design footbridge competition for New Islington, Manchester in collaboration with Thornton Tomasetti Postawa de Hoog structural engineers. 2007.
- Invited / Limited Competition for Moseley Community Development Trust. Shortlisted. 2005.
Previous practice experience
- D5 Architects, Birmingham, 2000 (Freelance Architect). St Philip’s Chambers Barrister’s Chambers. Responsible for Detail Design and Value Engineering.
- Deacon Edge Associates, Birmingham, 1997-2000 (Associate). Architect For Various Projects Including Caradon Gent In Leicester, Café At Worcester Race Course, Private Gallery In Bournville.
- Nicol Thomas Limited, Birmingham, 1996-1997 (Architectural Assistant). Co-Designer Of New Hampton Lofts, Job Runner For Numerous Mcdonald’s Restaurants Projects, Concept Designer For Safeway Stores, Concept Designer For Re-Branding Of Wh Smith ‘Do It All’.
- The Colman Partnership, London, 1996 (Freelance Architectural Assistant). Concept And Presentation Work For 2 Shopping Malls In London.
- Cumbria County Council, Carlisle 1994 (Architectural Assistant). Designer For Major Refurbishment Project For A Former Georgian School Building, Technical Work For Secondary School Refurbishment Programme.
- Architects Plus, Carlisle, 1991-1992 (Architectural Assistant). Design And Technical Support On A Whole Range Of Projects Including: Bbc Radio Cumbria, ‘Dawnfresh’ Food Processing Factory, ‘Cavagan And Gray’ Food Processing Factory, West Lakes Research Centre, Energy Recycling Centre, ‘Broadacre House’ Office Refurbishment, Annan Gazette Newspaper Headquarters, Eastriggs Facelift Project, Various Private Houses.
- Johnston & Wright Architects, Carlisle, Various Summer Vacation Spells Between 1986-1991. Junior Technician Working On Projects Including: Carlisle Castle Maintenance Programme, ‘Gosling Bridge’ Public House, Newton Rigg Agricultural College, West Cumberland Hospital.