Certificates and transcripts FAQs

Can I request more than one copy of my award certificate?

There can be only one original degree certificate in circulation at any one time.  If a student’s award certificate has been lost, stolen or damaged, a replacement may be requested.  In the event that the certificate has been damaged, you will be required to return the damaged certificate.

Replacement certificates will be issued at the University’s discretion, and the University reserves the right not to issue a replacement certificate or to specify reasons for this decision.

Replacement certificates will be produced in the format currently used by the University, and thus may not be an identical copy, but will have the same standing as the original which they replace.  If a replacement certificate is produced, the original will be invalidated, even if it was lost but subsequently located.

Can I change the name on my certificate?

The name printed on your degree certificate matches the official record held by the University on the student record system. It is your responsibility to ensure the name on your record is correct. It is not possible to amend your name once your award has been conferred.

Birmingham City University is aware of its responsibilities under the Gender Recognition Act 2004 and, in circumstances where a post-operative transsexual, who has changed name officially requests the re-issuing of an award certificate in their new name, this request will be granted upon production of proof of the name change. 

In circumstances where a former student is in the transition phase of gender reassignment and needs a record of their achievement under their new presenting gender, this request will be granted upon production of proof of name change and supporting medical evidence.

Students will be required to return their original award certificate before a new certificate can be issued. 

I never received my original certificate, how do I request this?

If you have recently qualified, you will receive an email soon after your award has been confirmed at an examination board.  This email will notify you and provide instructions when your certificate is available to request. Please allow up to 15 working days in order to receive the automated email.

If your award is post September 2010, please email certificates@bcu.ac.uk providing the following details:

  • Name as you were enrolled
  • Date of Birth
  • Student ID number (if known)
  • Course studied
  • Date course was completed
  • Proof of identity

Applications will not be processed without proof of identify. Please provide:

  • Copy of passport OR
  • Copy of driving licence OR
  • Copy of birth certificate

(if your current name differs from your student name, you must provide documentary evidence e.g. marriage certificate or deed poll etc.)

Unfortunately, if your award was prior to September 2010, we are unable to issue you with your certificate. You can request a letter of confirmation, which will confirm the course studied and award obtained (if applicable).

Can I request my transcript or award certificate electronically?

We are presently only able to provide hard copies of both certificates and transcripts.

What is a transcript and what information is presented on the transcript?

A transcript is an official document from Birmingham City University which provides a detailed record of your study. The transcript will include modules studied at each level, marks awarded and credits obtained. It will also include details of the conferred award (where applicable). 

Current students should not apply for a replacement transcript. If you are a current student, your Faculty will issue your final transcript within 30 days of the final examination board. If you have any questions regarding your first issue transcript, please contact your Faculty.

Can I have information added or excluded from the transcripts?

It is not possible to amend the transcript. It is an official document presented in a standardised format.

Timescales, delivery methods and table of costs

Please note that we are not able to prioritise document requests for any reason.  All of the requests we receive are important and therefore in fairness to all enquirers, requests are dealt with in the order in which they are received.  The table provides details of the standard processing time for requests. 

The University cannot accept responsibility for any loss, damage or delays incurred once documents have been posted.  There is a three month waiting period to see whether documents are delivered or returned to the University before a replacement is produced for non-delivery.  If more than three months have passed since the posting date, and the documents have neither been delivered nor returned to the University, a replacement will be produced free of charge. 

If documents are lost or returned to the University due to an incorrect or incomplete address, replacement documents will need to be purchased. 



Delivery method


First issue transcript

Within 30 days of the final examination board

  •          Sent first class to home address


Replacement transcript

First response within 10 working days of receipt of request

  •          Sent first class to UK address*


  •          Sent via Royal Mail Track and Trace to international addresses*

£25.00 (for three copies)

First issue award certificate

Posted within 10 days of receiving the request.  Students are advised to allow for a further 3 days for delivery to UK addresses and up to 28 days for international addresses. 


Replacement award certificate

First response within 10 working days of receipt of request


Certified copies of award certificates or transcripts

First response within 10 working days of receipt of request

£5.00 per document

Verification of studies

First response within 10 working days of receipt of response

  •          Sent via email or;
  •          Sent first class to UK address*
  •          Sent via Royal Mail Track and Trace to international addresses*



How do I make payment for my document?

After submitting your request via email, you will be contacted within 10 working days with follow up information. Once your request has been verified, you will be provided with a unique reference number and the link to our online store where you will be able to make payment by credit/debit card.

You will be required to make payment within 30 days. Failure to do so will cancel your original request and you will be required to submit a new request online.

I have outstanding financial obligations, can I still request my documents?

Unfortunately we are unable to provide any documentation or confirmation of studies whilst you have outstanding financial obligations with the university. Please contact our Finance Department on 0121 331 6669 to discuss this matter further.

What are certified documents?

A certified document is a copy of your original document, which has been stamped and signed to confirm it is a true and accurate copy of the original. Certified copies can be useful if you do not wish to submit your original documents to a third party. You must be able to provide high quality scanned or photocopies of the originals for them to be certified.

How will I receive my documents?

Replacement certificates, transcripts and certified documents will be sent by first class post within the UK and using tracked delivery for international addresses.

We are able to provide verifications of studies and awards via email or by post.

Where can I receive further information?

For information relating to certificates or transcripts, please email certificates@bcu.ac.uk

For information relating to verification of awards, please email verifications@bcu.ac.uk

You can also contact us on 0121 331 6869.

Can you provide verification of award to a third party organisation?

We will require a signed declaration by the former student to accompany any request from a third party organisation.  The company can contact us direct by emailing verifications@bcu.ac.uk with the declaration. In the majority of cases, unless otherwise requested, third party verifications are provided via email to avoid delays. Please note, we are unable to provide any verification if the former student holds any financial obligations with the university.