Public Research Seminar: Dr Shirley Thompson
Public Research Seminar Series
Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
Wheelchair users are entitled to concessionary priced tickets with a complimentary companion seat.
Guide dogs are welcome at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire venues. If you wish to bring a Guide Dog or wheelchair, please let the Events Office know by calling 0121 331 5909.
FREE TICKETS FOR RBC STAFF & STUDENTS*
Staff & students are eligible for a limited number of free tickets for events at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire events.
- Tickets are subject to availability, must be booked in advance and are offered on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Once the free ticket allocation per event is reached, staff and students are eligible for discounted tickets.
- Excludes events programmed by external organisations or visiting artists.
- One ticket per student/member of staff.
- *Entry only granted with a valid BCU ID.
Public Research Seminar: Dr Shirley Thompson (Royal Birmingham Conservatoire): Tartini à la française: the concerti grossi of Charles Henri de Blainville
Around 1751 the French theorist and composer Charles Henri de Blainville published a set of six concerti grossi based on solo violin sonatas by Giuseppe Tartini. Blainville’s decision to arrange Tartini’s works as concerti grossi and to publish them in mid-century Paris seems at first sight odd given that the concerto was not widely cultivated in France. This seminar will explore Blainville’s approach and demonstrate how the resulting works represent a genuinely (re-)creative initiative.
Forthcoming events in Public Research Seminar Series
Forthcoming dates will be announced soon.