Film and Technology Freelancers’ Fair
Curzon Street Birmingham B4 7XG United Kingdom
Birmingham City University is holding a Freelancers’ Fair on Thursday 3 November at Millennium Point so that students can find out more about the career options available to them after graduation.
According to a recent Creative Skillset Survey, a large portion of the UK film industry and creative workforce is freelance, and this is on the increase. Working freelance can offer a rewarding career but it can be daunting for those new to it.
If you are considering a career in the UK film and creative industries, and want to know more about the options available to you, then the first ever BCU Freelancer’s Fair is right up your street!
The event will include a series of talks, a Q&A panel with key industry representatives and a CV/Showreel Clinic. The day will end with a networking event for students, alumni and members of the local film-making community from 5-7pm.
For further information, please contact Michael Bickerton.
This event is for students and recent alumni who are planning a career in the film or media industries.
Thursday 3 November 2016 – 9.30am to 7pm
- John West – Art Director for ITV’s Victoria (2016). Mick Corfield – BECTU’s Midlands National Official (BECTU will also have a stand)
- Richard Lingard – CEO of Indibook, an online booking service specialising in freelance technical crafts operatives (Indibook will also have a stand)
- Sarah Dodds – Account Manager for northern based clients at The Crewing Company (TCC)
- Caroline Dalton – Head of Operations at The Crewing Company (TCC will also have a stand)
- Elle Finn – Marketing Executive, The Crewing Company
- Geoff Boyle – Freelance cinematographer and founder of CML, the go-to online portal for working cinematographers
- Liam Hawe – A recent BCU alumnus working freelance in the sector in London
- Pip Piper – Founder of Blue Hippo Media and CEO of the Producer’s Forum
- BCU Advantage – A BCU initiative designed to help alumni set up new businesses
- Michael Bickerton – doctoral researcher and lecturer focussing on helping new entrant and novice freelance workers launch a sustainable career in the UK Film Industry