Tender Buttons: Objects, Food, Rooms
Organ Studio, Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
200 Jennens Road, B4 7XR
Wheelchair users are entitled to concessionary priced tickets with a complimentary companion seat.
Guide dogs are welcome at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire venues. If you wish to bring a Guide Dog or wheelchair, please let the Events Office know by calling 0121 331 5909.
FREE TICKETS FOR RBC STAFF & STUDENTS*
Staff & students are eligible for a limited number of free tickets for events at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire.
- Tickets are subject to availability, must be booked in advance and are offered on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Once the free ticket allocation per event is reached, staff and students are eligible for discounted tickets.
- Excludes events programmed by external organisations or visiting artists.
- One ticket per student/member of staff.
- *Entry only granted with a valid BCU ID.
Featuring Thomas Strønen
Gertrude Stein’s ground-breaking stream of consciousness work (1914): ‘Tender Buttons: Objects, Food, Rooms’ has been heralded as “a masterpiece of verbal cubism”. Her unique writing style challenges traditional alignments of words addressing instead their underlying sound and rhythm: “By departing from conventional meaning, grammar and syntax, she attempted to capture ‘moments of consciousness’ independent of time and memory.”
This contemporary interpretation of Stein’s work is a cross-disciplinary symbiosis of composition and improvisation, setting her unorthodox text for four piece vocal ensemble (SATB) and improvisers: drums/percussion/electronics and trumpet.
Forthcoming events in Frontiers Series
Forthcoming dates will be announced soon.